Today I sent a e-mail to Precision Matthew’s new purchase technical support and I asked the status of the new manual specifically the electronics of the PM-833TV. The response confirmed the machine was the same as the 833t except for the VFD instead of gear head. Below is part of their response.

“It does run on a VFD, but its not exactly the same as the typical programmable VFDs, this manual will not have info on how to change settings. It is a VFD, but without the case and the keyboard for parameters. Worst case you could just replace with a common VFD that you are familiar with, the motor is just an inverter motor, so can run fine from that too.”

The way I read it is that the VFD that comes with the machine will not take commands from the controller which in my case will be a Acorn. It looks like I will need to purchase a new VFD for the CNC conversion.

Do you guys interpret it the same way. Regardless, I am still planning on purchasing the PM-833TV next week but will just need to include a VFD with the rest of the CNC parts.

thanks for any advice

lee

Sounds to me like they have it programmed to do what they want it to do and you can’t change it unless you can find a way to get a keypad or programming cable for it. Many VFDs are able to be programmed from a laptop with the correct communications cable, the trick will be finding the right software for it if they don’t tell you which unit the guts came from.

If you can find out what board it is, it may very well be the same as others that are out there. In which case you can get a manual from them that will tell you how to program it.

Guys thanks for the advice. I am at the 9th hour ready to pull the trigger. What are your guys thoughts on the tightening of the spindle to the drawbar? A couple of weeks ago I had pretty much decided on the PM-940 but after reading that the quality of the PM-833 was a little better as it was manufactured in Taiwan. So I was going to go with the smaller mill for about $1,000 more.

Do you guys know if the quick change or easy change tool holder (depending on which country I purchase it from) will solve the being able tighten spindle problem.

Also do you guys think it is better to go with the smaller Taiwan machine (more expensive) or the larger less expensive PM machine manufacturer in China.

I plan to call precision Precision Mathews today and discuss it with them.

thanks for any advice

lee

Did you see the thread on H-M here that someone did a drawbar lock system on their 833TV? I am on my phone so searching and pasting is not easy to do otherwise I would link it.
As Cadillac mentioned, the Tormach system may be a good choice or even an ER style collet adapter.

Thanks and yes I did. I was just second guessing my mill choice and I am going to stick with it. I exchanged a e mail with Bruce at Heavy Metal CNC today, I spoke with Tom at Teknic and he has since e mailed me a list of parts including servo model numbers with an invoice. I spoke with John at Precision Mathews around lunch to talk about spindle lock issue and talked about PM-833 vrs 940 differences. I am selecting misc. parts from cnc4pc website now. I was looking at Ruland split jaw spider couplings earlier. Just need to figure out how long they should be. I have my Centroid list complete.

My bank account is going to take a hit on Monday.

Thanks all, for your advise.

It will soon be all about making what I have work instead of what should I purchase.

So did you decide on the 833? I would go with the Taiwan machine if everything else works. I don’t know the CNC conversion side but I do think the Taiwan quality is worth the little extra for it. Just my 2 cents, sounds like you are there and in for a lot more than 2 cents. Good luck, I look forward to tracking the build.

Thanks and yes I did. I was just second guessing my mill choice and I am going to stick with it. I exchanged a e mail with Bruce at Heavy Metal CNC today, I spoke with Tom at Teknic and he has since e mailed me a list of parts including servo model numbers with an invoice. I spoke with John at Precision Mathews around lunch to talk about spindle lock issue and talked about PM-833 vrs 940 differences. I am selecting misc. parts from cnc4pc website now. I was looking at Ruland split jaw spider couplings earlier. Just need to figure out how long they should be. I have my Centroid list complete.

My bank account is going to take a hit on Monday.

Thanks all, for your advise.
It will soon be all about making what I have work instead of what should I purchase.

Back