New to me SB 10-R

Like I said, nice find Ed! I'm jealous of all the stuff you got with it....yes, I know you paid for it but still it's nice to have all that when you need to use it. As for how much loving care on the rebuild? I say go as far as you can because you don't want to do it again. Do it right the first time and you can sleep at nights knowing you did good and it'll last longer than most of us on this forum. :)

OK, here's a question for all of you who've done this before. I removed the spindle following the procedure with the screws and the bearing expander and all. Much to my surprise, the spring loaded wicks were not all gummy and were awash with oil. Don't know what kind, but at least there was some there. I have not disassembled the spindle. Peering through the split in the bearings, the spindle surfaces look great, but, of course, you can only see part of the bearing surface on the spindle through the split. I have reviewed the process for disassembling the spindle and my question is how big a deal is it? I think what I'm going to find is that everything is OK, but I don't want to risk busting something just to find out that there was nothing to find. I did not do a bearing clearance evaluation prior to disassembly because I didn't know what the bearing area looked like. Full of gum, sand, dark blue from over heating or what. I am well equipped to do the job. I have gear pullers and a press so that is not a big issue, but I am not sure of what I am risking to learn very little. My "how to rebuild" book should arrive today, so that will give me a better idea of what's involved.
Right now I'm involved in the more pedestrian task of cleaning all the gunk off the base and the legs so I can get them painted and have a place to re-assemble the machine. They go on first.

I say pull it and check. Better to do it and know what's what than possibly run the machine and do damage. Then you'd be kicking yourself that you didn't check. It's not that hard. You'll have the book and all of us here to help you. :tiphat:

I say pull it and check. Better to do it and know what's what than possibly run the machine and do damage. Then you'd be kicking yourself that you didn't check. It's not that hard. You'll have the book and all of us here to help you. :tiphat:
I agree, your already half way there, the rest is pretty easy, you'll see when you get the book. The spindle and bearings is the heart of the machine imo. replace the wicks while you are there, even if they look good, wicks are cheap, hard parts are not.

Ok. I'm convinced. Got the book today and it looks pretty simple....unless something sticks. Since that goes on last, I'm going to wrap it plastic and put it aside 'til later. Still working on getting the base ready to paint. I am considering turning the base on end to install the underdrive unit. Seems like it might be simpler. With that in mind, what's the opinion of the group on upgrading the 1/2 HP motor? What's the deal with the babbit bearings cast in place in the base casting? The main support rod for the drive passes through them, but it is set screwed to the base, so there's no rotation of the shaft. It looks like there were rough holes in the casting and the poured-in-place bearings were just a way to get the holes where they needed to be w/o machining them.

I don't see anything wrong with upgrading the motor hp, just keep the rpm the same. The only issue you might run into is the bolt holes on a modern motor may not line up as the frames are different. Many people have changed the motors in these lathes. I chose to keep mine original for the time being and see how it performs. If I was to change mine I would keep it 3 phase and maybe 1 hp, so I would only gain a 1/4 horse.:dunno: These lathes where designed to perform with their given hp and geared accordingly. A 1/2 hp does seem light though on first impression. I have 2 other machines with 3/4 hp that work well, one is a wood working lathe and on that one I sometimes wish it had more hp, I have just learned not to push it to hard.

Woodtick,
I've looked at your entire thread and, I must say, you've set a high bar. I did notice that the motor pulley on your 3Ph 3/4HP motor appears considerably larger than the one on my 1 Ph 1/2HP motor. Rashly assuming that both are the parts that came from the factory that would mean your spindle is turning faster than mine which is one way to use the extra power. If you get a minute, would you take a quick measurement of the pulley diameter on the motor? Thanks.
ET

Woodtick,
I've looked at your entire thread and, I must say, you've set a high bar. I did notice that the motor pulley on your 3Ph 3/4HP motor appears considerably larger than the one on my 1 Ph 1/2HP motor. Rashly assuming that both are the parts that came from the factory that would mean your spindle is turning faster than mine which is one way to use the extra power. If you get a minute, would you take a quick measurement of the pulley diameter on the motor? Thanks.
ET
Yes it is as it came from the factory, when I get home from work today I will get a measurement for you. It is a 2 speed, or high and low, double pully. A single phase 1/2 hp motor would be a little light on power in my opinion, sounds like someone just put in what they had. If you wanted to stay single phase I would go 1 to 1 1/2 hp and still be able to run 110v.

Woodtick,
I did notice that the motor pulley on your 3Ph 3/4HP motor appears considerably larger than the one on my 1 Ph 1/2HP motor. Rashly assuming that both are the parts that came from the factory that would mean your spindle is turning faster than mine which is one way to use the extra power. If you get a minute, would you take a quick measurement of the pulley diameter on the motor? Thanks.
ET
Pulley outside diameter on the motor is 3 1/2" for the large pulley and 2 1/8" for the small pulley. The knobs I made for the cover made it quick and easy to get the cover off to measure these :) Then I got to thinking if your counter shaft pulleys are the same diameter as mine?:dunno:

Woodtick,
No rush on the measurement. My old 9" has the two speed pulley arrangement. I can't recall ever changing it in the 50 years I've had it. Maybe I should try it sometime. I looked on my shelf of "motors that might come in handy some day" and found a nice new GE 1.5 HP, 1PH, 120/240, reversible motor so I think that may be the one. I have 240 at several points in my shop, but I'm thinking I'll go with 120 for this machine. I have lots of 120 outlets and I'm not terribly worried about efficiency. You are correct, though, the mounting pattern is way different than the motor on the machine. Not a problem really; just another thing to deal with.

Back