New to me SB 10-R

Ed T

Active User
Registered
I just purchased a WW II vintage 10-R. The story that came with it is that it was purchased by a dentist after the war and he had it for some time. I bought it from a guy who got it at the estate sale along with a bunch of other stuff. Apparently, the dentist went through the SB catalog and ordered one of almost everything that might go with the lathe and much of it is still in the original packaging. Included in the accessories are: tool post grinder with wheels, 4 jaw Simmons chuck, 3 jaw Cushman chuck, 1/2" Jacobs chuck, Collet drawbar and nose piece and 25 SB collets all in the original Bakelite tubes in the original SB set boxes (unused as far as I can tell), a very nice tailstock mounted adjustable boring bar, about ten assorted armstrong tool holders including some odd boring bar holders and a Williams thread cutter with an interesting "indexable" cutter, SB tool post mounted boring bar holder, SB diamond wheel dresser with the special fixtures for setting up the TPG, SB adjustable stop for the cross slide, about 2 cups of cutting tools, between centers boring bar and a bunch of other miscellanea. It experienced a tip over at some point and there was some damage to the front side handles which had been repaired to a point of functionality, but only just. I have started disassembly and I am pretty encouraged by the condition under 70+ years of petrified oil, dust and grime. Most of the frosting is still on the ways and cross slide. There is certainly part of the ways where the frosting is gone, but, while I can see the wear area, I cannot detect it with my fingernail Very little evidence of compound/chuck crashes. Screws are reasonably tight. I'm cleaning up the apron now and all the guts look like new once you get through the crud. I'm inclined to leave it together and just flush it out well. So far, I can see no pressing reason to take it all apart since I can see nothing that needs help. This will also avoid dealing with the spider's web of wicking strings that go all around the insides. This will be a pretty comprehensive refresh, but I see little value in taking everything apart just for the sake of taking it apart. OPINIONS???
The machine is equipped with vintage GE 1/2 HP 110V motor (same as my 9"SB). Is it worth upgrading this to something a bit bigger while I have every thing apart. I think I may have a 3/4 hp lying around and maybe a 1.5 as well. The drive belt is done (it may be the one it came with) so that will have to be replaced. Any recommended sources of belts. I'll try to post some pics at some point. Naturally, my wife's camera decided to expire in the middle of the first photo shoot so I'll have to deal with that to show any in-progress pics. Thanks for any comments.
ET

Congrats on the lathe but you know what they say, Ed. Pics or it didn't happen! :))

Yup, pics, I would really like to see this and all the attachments and accessories. Sounds like a great find, what did you pay for all of it? My feeling on the wicks, even though it may be a pita to change them it would be worth while and protect your investment. The wicks will have gotten full of crud and are probably quite hard as well, if they are they will not deliver oil properly and should be replaced. If they are the originals, and it sounds like they are, they are probably in need of changing.

OK, OK. I went out to my shop and looked around and I discovered that the lathe was GONE. I rushed in and down loaded the pics from the now-dead camera and, mirable dictu!!, the lathe re-materialized. So all of you saying that if there are no pics, it didn't happen were right. Now, all I have to figure out is how to post pictures on this forum. I looked around a bit and didn't find anything. Any secret clues so I don't bring down the site doing something stupid?

DSCN6373.JPGDSCN6363.JPGDSCN6361.JPGDSCN6370.JPGDSCN6372.JPGDSCN6365.JPGDSCN6368.JPG
Ah, Cleverly concealed as "How to post a photo on this forum". No wonder I didn't find it. so maybe some pictures will show up. The full shot of the machine is about when the camera crapped out. The other shots are various items on the "accessory table". More shots soon. The lathe is now broken into sub assemblies while I decide what level of OCD is appropriate. Regardless of the final effort, there is a lot of grunge to clean up and it is Petrified.

DSCN6361.JPG DSCN6363.JPG DSCN6365.JPG DSCN6368.JPG DSCN6370.JPG DSCN6372.JPG DSCN6373.JPG

Wow, great score! Lots of original accessories, That's a candidate for a full restore for sure. I agree with Shawn......full on ocd! Keep posting pics as you go through this for all to see and learn from.

Great find! can't wait to see some chips rolling off it. keep us updated

Ed, I think you got taken advantage of and you should take it back. I feel so bad that I'll drive down and we can load it on my truck. I'll even deliver it for you. After all you should not have to take the time to go back. Well maybe it wasn't such a bad deal (what a great find) good luck.

You didn't mention the price range, just curious.

Since there is a fair amount of interest in the price; it was $2200. Willing buyer/willing seller and all. I have been looking for a year or so and the lathe market in this area is pretty thin. It never was a big manufacturing area unlike the Northeast or the Midwest and, consequently, there not machine tools hiding in every back room. The key factors for me were: general condition and condition of the ways in particular, the broad range of accessories included, the wide availability of parts and support for SB machines, the solidness of the investment, the location (shipping is expensive). I'm pretty sure I could sell of the accessories and cover most of my cost, but I don't think I will. The main thing I didn't get was the big spindle hole (this is a Ten R, not Ten L). That can be changed, but we'll wait and see.
Now that I have gotten into the guts of the machine I think my original assessment of the condition was correct. This was a wallflower for most of it's life. So I got lucky, I think. As mentioned before, it had a tip-over at some point and there are a few things to be sorted out from that adventure, but nothing huge. Everything works as it is, but some could be better. The two main issues are the shift lever for the gear box which has been repaired but is just a little "off". It works, but not smoothly. The screw for the cross slide has been repaired, but needs some work to be right. I could buy a nice new one, but I think I'll make a new end for the existing one and graft it on. It looks like a pretty simple part as long as I don't have to make the gear. If the repair fails, it's not the last one on the planet.
So, I think I have a camera that works now so I'll post some more pictures of the guts soon. Thanks for the interest.

Great score, Ed! I guess it's going to cause the other project to decline in importance (no problem on my side with that). You got a ton of stuff with it, how did you find it?

Bill

Back