New to me Hendey 14 x 30

Thanks. My plan was to get the apron serviced so I could feel comfortable making chips and accessing the condition of the lathe. The lead screw reversing lever was broken off when I got the machine and had been for as long as the previous owner had it. Now that its repaired I can shift from forward to neutral....but not reverse. Being as it's July 4 and I'm the familys go to grill chef I didn't have a chance to investigate that any further. On the up side, I had the time to adjust both drive clutchs in the apron and there is no slip in them. When released they stop immediately. I like that.

That's just the glow of pride from all the work you've put into it.

That's just the glow of pride from all the work you've put into it.
Jim, Its me glowing tonight. I had a couple of hours to spend trying to troubleshoot my feed reversing problem. I searched online last night and found that if it needs work you have to remove the headstock to get at it....not something I was looking forward to. So tonight I was playing with it and trying not to force anything too hard. I finally gave up after lubing everthing I could see and moved on to the feed stops. I was under the impression that because the stops are on the clutch rod that it would stop the spindle as well as the lead screw. Wrong. It only stops the lead screw. As I was moving the lever that would disengage everthing my lead screw started turning in reverse. I haven't gotten as far as cleaning and lubing all of the linkages yet, so it seems that the stop lever was all the way to the right and it wouldn't allow me to engage reverse feeds. I centered the lever and everthing works as it should. I'm a happy camper. The more I get into this machine the more impressed I am. It must have been one hell of a machine back in the day.

............... It must have been one hell of a machine back in the day.
It was one nice sweet machine back in it's time. You were top machinists in the shop to operate one, too!

The Hendey lives....sorta. I have everything sorted out on the carriage and feeds so I decided to make some chips. I don't have a toolpost large enough for this machine so I used the one that came with it. I started by boring soft jaws to fit a short piece of bar. Unfortunately I haven't touched the tailstock yet so I couldn't do any heavy test cuts. I did start to take a light cut on the bar but the tool I was using was chipped. I don't have the way wipers on it yet so I didn't want to do too much anyway. The machine runs surprisingly smooth considering the drive belts are trashed. At this point I'm starting to think it's going to be a keeper.20170709_160626.jpg 20170709_193656.jpg

It's on. You can't do much on a lathe without a20170713_175302.jpg tailstock. I have it apart and pretty much degreased. Just have to wipe it with spirits and hit it with the power wire brush and it will be ready to paint. It's a lot easier to handle when it's broken down into pieces. Of course the lathe will have to be leveled where its sitting if I want to do any meaningful test cuts. Yep, the can of worms is open.

A good solvent wipe and the parts will be ready for paint. I like the results when guys smooth the castings with filler but I don't have the ambition.20170714_180523.jpg

20170719_063009.jpg 20170716_160642.jpg Well with the second coat on the tailstock I was looking at the lathe and it occurred to me that if I painted the pan and pedestal I would be done from the headstock forward.

Last edited:
Back