New to me Hendey 14 x 30

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a geared head Hendey lathe today. I have never worked so hard to get a machine loaded on the trailer. I have been working on getting this machine since early last fall. The plan was for the neighbor to load it with his Lull. That didn't happen. I finally decided to load up everything I could think of and go out there and winch it on the trailer. I'm guessing it must weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 lbs. Got there at 10 AM and finally pulled out at 3:30 PM. What a PIA to get on the trailer.

20170422_165522.jpg

20170422_200542.jpg

If it was easy everyone would do it;).congrats on a nice piece of iron,looking forward to more pics.

If it was easy everyone would do it;).congrats on a nice piece of iron,looking forward to more pics.
The fellow I got it from told me that someone else was there to get it but after dragging it out of the shop and trying to get it on the trailer he went in the house to get him something to drink. Came back out and all he saw was the buyer driving out the driveway.

This is all stuff I had to take off so my little Yale would even begin to move it. I lifted until the forks stalled. At that point it was almost off the floor of the trailer. Then tilt the mast back aND it was just high enough to pull out from under it. 20170422_200557.jpg

Looks like after the buyer that skipped, he left it out in the rain. Hope it all cleans up for you.

Heavy chunk of iron you've got there. Will look forward to seeing it come back to life. Mike

I have one identical to yours but with a 108" bed, great lathe but soft ways and always worn out in the first 10 inches from the headstock. Mine is .020 low at the headstock and perfect from 60-108", mine weighs in at 8,000 lbs, 5HP GE 1200 RPM motor, you cannot overload that one. I would recommend cleaning the gear box and replacing the pipecleaners in the oil holes drilled to lube it properly. Mine is a 1941 and sold to the Hudson motor car company, I was going to rebuild mine 25 year ago and all the long work was disappearing so I stopped working on it, now it sits taking up space and to heavy for me to move now. Have fun getting yours ready for serious chip making.

Looks like after the buyer that skipped, he left it out in the rain. Hope it all cleans up for you.
He had it covered with something resembling a grill cover but the lower part of it got kind of crusty.

Heavy chunk of iron you've got there. Will look forward to seeing it come back to life. Mike
I think it's going to get a preliminary clean and lube and then go on the back burner until I finish a few other projects I have started.

Back