New to me Hendey 14 x 30

I had a Monarch tool room lathe with the lead screw reverse feature; it is wonderful for (especially) short threads and cutting threads into blind holes I assume that there are trip collars that can be positioned on the trip shaft to shift the clutch into neutral at each end of the desired travel.
I also had a Monarch for a number of years. It was a joy to run. With that machine when you hit reverse it was reversing the motor and everything it was turning rather than just the lead screw. It was a smooth running machine though.

Hi

If you find "TRB" stamped just above the forward spindle bearing, it means it has a tapered roller bearing headstock. I have a 12 X 30 made in 1940 . Mike
I didn't know about the trb stamp. I did pull the cover off and check the bearings and gears when I first got it. As crusty as the machine looked, everything was good in the headstock. Here's a pic of the stamp.20170605_195240.jpg

nice work on that beast. Looks like she'll be a nice machine when you clean her all up.

Thanks, it's going to be a while before it's up and running.

I finally got time to work on the Hendey again. I've had the apron laying on the bench in pieces for so long I forgot how everything went back together. I needed to shim both of the worm gears due to wear on the castings. I like using soft jaws to do stuff like this.20170625_131728.jpg 20170625_132610.jpg 20170625_132719.jpg

I uses may tool & die cart to remove and install the apron on my 20" L & S back when I had it. What we would do without them! Smash fingers, say those words we don't like to say, etc.

Back