New to me Bridgeport mill

Be careful and have the table fully supported by a hydraulic table or something similar when trying to remove it. A 42” table weighs about 280 lbs and a 48” table is about 365 lbs.

If you don’t keep it exactly parallel to the knee you could break a corner of the knee or the table itself when fully extended to the left

Never said anything about rebuilding, I just stated what "I" would do, then suggested the "fine toothed comb" method of checking everything.
I inferred rebuild because it’s 30 years old. Checking all of that is going to reveal worn parts. I figured if I went through with a fine toothed comb, I should address the issues while it’s apart. Idk though.

No need to sweat about the backlash, just always use your DRO.

I would just give it a thorough cleaning and lube everything as required. Make sure the Bijur One Shot lube system is working properly and that lube is actually getting delivered to each location where the lube lines go. Sometimes the metering orifices at the manifold get clogged, so it's a good idea to verify they are o.k. You can evaluate further needs as you start using it. Concerning stoning the table, it's a good idea to do it lightly just to remove any burrs that protrude above the table surface. Just my two cents.
Ted

No need to sweat about the backlash, just always use your DRO.
Don’t take the backlash out then? It’s like .100 backlash on the y, Maybe .050 on the x, but he said the same. He never took the backlash out or adjusted gibs.

Be careful and have the table fully supported by a hydraulic table or something similar when trying to remove it. A 42” table weighs about 280 lbs and a 48” table is about 365 lbs.

If you don’t keep it exactly parallel to the knee you could break a corner of the knee or the table itself when fully extended to the left
Holy cow, I didn’t think about how heavy that table could be.

Holy cow, I didn’t think about how heavy that table could be.

Hehe, I didn’t either when I disassembled mine to move. Nothing broke but it was much heavier than I expected.

When I purchased my Bridgeport it was 30 years old. There was about .020” backlash in both the X and Y axis.

In this case the machine had the older style split nut. When I disassembled it (2 years later) to move it to the basement I split the nut and was able to bring the backlash down to .003” which is the original factory spec.

22 years later the backlash is back up to about .020” again. Rather than do another gib adjustment it’s time to replace the nut and lead screw. Later this year I’ll also refresh the head. The whole job should cost around $800.00. Not bad since its about the only thing that’s been done to the machine in over 50 years.
That’s awesome! Thanks for this. 800 was the cost for just the lead screw and nut? Where did you purchase it?

Hehe, I didn’t either when I disassembled mine to move. Nothing broke but it was much heavier than I expected.
Did you try to lift it lol? Honestly, I’m glad you said something. I’m a little guy, but would have never guessed it weighed that much. I could see myself getting in a bad situation without having been told that.

I work on hot stamp presses and often take the bed off to replace cracked bed bolts and it’s a much thicker bed, but not as long and it doesn’t weigh as much as that.

Make a strong wooden or metal table with wheels to slide the table onto. Use the knee to adjust the height for removal. No hydraulics required.

Back