New Tig Day - Everlast Powertig 255 Ext (18 Pics)

There is a HOST of things on my fall catch up list...
And at this point a new TIG is pretty close to the bottom.

OTOH... If I can get a few major things off the top of the list...
The TIG may well find its way under the tree in DEC....
Or, being green, it may BE the tree... :D

I'm on the fence between ordering a 255EXT and a 350EXT as the cost difference on AMZ is currently $550. The 255EXT is dual voltage (which is nice to have but not a requirement) and goes lower on the amps 3A DC / 5A AC vs 5A DC / 10A AC . The 350EXT has a 30A higher 60% duty cycle and, obviously, higher max amps. I suppose the 350EXT probably has higher startup inrush current, which might be an issue on a generator (not a concern for me either).

I do occasionally want to weld 1/2" SS and mild steel plate but most of my projects are in the sheet to 1/4" plate range. Ignoring cost, if you could have only one, would you choose the lower minimum amps or the higher max amps?

Well, I finally went and pulled the trigger on a 255EXT with a water cooler. It should be here next Tuesday. Now I need to find $3K of Tig work, so it can earn its keep.

Reactions: Z2V
30 day review on new welder.......
I have had this welder about 5 weeks, and am quite happy with it. The only complaint so far, is a slow internal Argon leak between the rear fitting, and the solenoid. Not big enough to make me open the welder yet, but enough that I turn off the bottle valve every time I shut off the welder.
This welder is much better at welding than I am. It helps make my welds better than my limited past experiences.
My only regret, is waiting so long to buy it.

Bringing up a Zombie Thread I know.

I recently received an Everlast 255EXT. So far it's been great, not much time on it yet.

But one thing that I did not notice, and never saw mentioned in all of my pre purchase studies is that the power switch is actually the breaker switch in the rear of the unit. Awkward PITA to reach. Also limits where I can place the machine. Never seen anything with the power switch in the rear like that, so that never even crossed my mind as a possibility.

Not sure if this is a deal breaker for me, but I thought that someone might happen to see this and consider it.

Why no front panel switch?

When ordering some tungsten for my TIG, I noticed that the red tipped ones are thoriated. They contain thorium which is
a radioactive alpha emitter. For that reason, I went with the lanthanated(blue) tungstens. Grinding points on thoriated tungsten
would be hazardous not only by inhalation but by ingestion. Alpha emitter radionuclides are biologically the most hazardous to health.
I won't be using the red tipped tungstens in my shop.

RonRock,

I don't find the power switch in the rear to be a problem. My welder is mounted almost chest high, and I can reach over it if needed. I just find it easier to walk behind the cart and flip the switch. As I am back there, I also get the gas valve on the bottle..

Bringing up a Zombie Thread I know.

I recently received an Everlast 255EXT. So far it's been great, not much time on it yet.

But one thing that I did not notice, and never saw mentioned in all of my pre purchase studies is that the power switch is actually the breaker switch in the rear of the unit. Awkward PITA to reach. Also limits where I can place the machine. Never seen anything with the power switch in the rear like that, so that never even crossed my mind as a possibility.

Not sure if this is a deal breaker for me, but I thought that someone might happen to see this and consider it.

Why no front panel switch?

I have a Miller Dynasty. The power switch is also on the rear and mounted sideways so you can't obviously tell which way is ON. It should at lease be mounted vertically. I am not sure why the manufacturers do this?

Robert

Problem with 255EXT

I bought this welder about 18 months ago, after reading about the great customer service that CraigB1960 recieved after having a problem.

NEVERLAST ( I joined the club today! ) did not give me the same kind of support. Mark finally called me back today. He was less than helpful at solving the problem. He spent most of his time either making BS excuses about how the problem is NOT the welder, or going on about what an expert he was . Bottom line is their 5 year warranty is a joke. My unit works perfect on DC, it now has problems starting the arc on AC. I thought it had mis-cued once or twice in the last six months, but then it seemed to be OK. Two days ago it started acting up too often to ignore. As it appears the warranty is useless, I will have to open it up and see what I find. I have the skills and equipment to stand a fair chance of figuring out what is wrong and fixing it. One thing you can be sure of...... I will never buy anything from NEVERLAST again.

Well that sucks. Please follow up with any findings.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back