New Tig Day - Everlast Powertig 255 Ext (18 Pics)

You have a chance to try out your new helmet yet? Just curious what you think about it.

Yes, got the Viking 3350, shipped from Baker's Gas (great price...no affiliation with them). My first impression was as you said...Wow! What a difference it makes. Can clearly see the puddle, helmet is very sensitive and reacts extremely fast (40 microseconds). Good adjustment on shades, has a very large view, and excellent color rendering. The comfort of headband is good as well. Have no desire to use the HF one now, simply keeping it as a backup.

My welding has improved with the helmet.

I plan to order a x2.00 cheater lens so I don't have to wear my glasses.

Craig, have you had a chance to open up your welder yet? I am looking into getting a tig welder and the the Evelast has an attractive price, but that 201 teardown video has me a little worried. Thanks for the info that you have already provided, it has helped me consider some alternatives.

Craig, have you had a chance to open up your welder yet? I am looking into getting a tig welder and the the Evelast has an attractive price, but that 201 teardown video has me a little worried. Thanks for the info that you have already provided, it has helped me consider some alternatives.
No, I shot the packaging and such, then got to using it. I will try to open it up tomorrow...Wednesday the latest if that works for you?

Yes, that is fine. Thank you. I look forward to seeing what they are built like.

EXCELLENT thread!
Thx to all that contributed... especially the details from Cooledge.

I probably will be in the market for a TIG this fall...

Good reading!

Okay, pulled the cover off and took some photos. I did not see anything that gives me heartburn. All screw connections have Loctite type compound, control module is well build with good components and connectors. Looks like everything is modular for easy replacement. When I purchased from Mark at Everlast, he stated this. Makes warranty repair easy with part(s) replacement done by owner if desired.

For the cost of the machine and its features, I feel that I received value.

everlast-1.jpg

everlast-2.jpg

everlast-3.jpg

everlast-5.jpg

everlast-6.jpg

everlast-7.jpg

everlast-8.jpg

everlast-9.jpg

everlast-10.jpg

everlast-11.jpg

It looks better than was worried it might, but not as good as I was hoping. Reasonable for the price though I guess. The board support is improved over that older and smaller one from the video review, and all the capacitors that I can see Are 105° rated. A few of those capacitors are right by the heat sinks though.

In an earlier post, you mentioned a background in electronics that is better than mine. Would you mind sharing a critical opinion on any possible failure modes and their likelihood? Also, are those black epoxy packages on the big board the IGBTs, or is there a module in there somewhere?

Thanks for the photos!

It looks better than was worried it might, but not as good as I was hoping. Reasonable for the price though I guess. The board support is improved over that older and smaller one from the video review, and all the capacitors that I can see Are 105° rated. A few of those capacitors are right by the heat sinks though.

In an earlier post, you mentioned a background in electronics that is better than mine. Would you mind sharing a critical opinion on any possible failure modes and their likelihood? Also, are those black epoxy packages on the big board the IGBTs, or is there a module in there somewhere?

Thanks for the photos!

Everlast continually improves this welder, here is a photo of the 2013 model:

255ext2013.jpg

Clearly the 2015 version has made improvements and added features.

Capacitors are always a concern. 105c caps are okay, I would be more concerned about the voltage margins on them. In a perfect world, all the components would be a much higher rating than needed....but then the cost would be higher than I would be willing to pay for in my hobby.

It has a 5 year warranty. I figure if there is a design flaw, it will show up by then. I am using this in a home shop as a hobby, I suspect it would outlast me.

Not enough data available to me to hazard a guess on failure modes and probability. There are a lot of these welders out there and I simply have not read of any serious issues or failure modes.

Thx for the pics CraigB...

Complicated gadget... :)

Back