New Tig Day - Everlast Powertig 255 Ext (18 Pics)

I'd like to see a good over head shot of the top board. I am interested in what micro processor they use to control everything.

I'd like to see a good over head shot of the top board. I am interested in what micro processor they use to control everything.

I don't have one over the top since I set the unit up on a table to shoot and I'm short. I suggest give them a call, they are pretty much open to answering questions.

Just to add to this thread and since I was initially drawn to the HTP due to the youtube build quality video. The comparison of this welder with HTP (from a mechanical build) is one thing. The feature set is a whole different ballgame. What sold me on the Everlast 255EXT was the specs. and feature set that was better in several key areas from the HTP Inverting 221.

First is warranty:
Everlast 5 years...HTP 3 years

Duty cycle:
Everlast -
250A/20V @ 60% Duty Cycle/ 40º C
200A/18V @ 100% Duty Cycle/ 40º C

HTP - (notice no ambient temp. given)
20% @ 220 amps
60% @ 165 amps
100% @ 145 amps

That is a big difference in useable weld time in my book......100% @ 200A versus 20 or 30%. As well as being able to go to 250A versus 220A.

Maximum input amps is about the same but the Everlast is outputting more amps. I can run it at full output of 250A on a 30A circuit. The Everlast at full output 220A @ 26A versus 250A @ 27A....Everlast is more efficient.

Another difference is the quality of the ground clamp. Might seem trivial, but a good ground clamp is important. The Everlast is very heavy duty compared to HTP.

I looked for complete specs. on the HTP and could not find them...even in their manual. Everlast supplies them on they website and in their manual.

From a user standpoint, all info is displayed on Everlast's front panel, the HTP is through menus and reading the digital display.

The only thing that the HTP seems to beat out the Everlast is weight...41lbs versus 62lbs. Not sure if that is a good thing though.

Another deciding factor is cost. By going through Mark (Lugweld on Everlast forum) for my purchase, I received a significant discount and saved $800 over the HTP. In fact, I was able to purchase the 255EXT, water cooler, upgrade to flex heads with 25' leads (both 9 and 20 torches), welding cart, and gas sense kit for less than the HTP air cooled unit. (I got both the air cooled and water cooled torches, HTP only supplies one or the other depending on model purchased)

(Not affiliated with Everlast, just a happy customer)

Last edited:
I had a problem with my welder on Saturday, July 30. So I ended up taking the cover off. I will do a second post on my Everlast 255EXT problem.

Here's a shot of the top board that someone wanted.

topboard.jpg

My Everlast 255EXT experienced a failure on Saturday, July 30 a little after 6:00pm PST. I purchased the Harris flowmeter/regulator, gas hose, and 90 degree elbow that I had just installed on my 255EXT and was getting ready to TIG a project I had. Turned the machine on, adjusted my gas flow, and then the back breaker on the welder tripped. My wall breaker did not. Reset and the unit tripped again. Since I'm running 240Vac, I decided to see if it would trip on 120Vac so I used the pigtail and plugged her up. She held just fine. So I figured I had an issue with the power board (the large board on the left side as you face the front of the machine).

I removed the cover and found this capacitor had failed:
cap.jpg
I've been in electronics all my life, with extensive manufacturing experience...industrial and mil spec. This is infant mortality of a component. You can predict how many units of a component will fail early, but you cannot identify which specific component will fail. You can burn them in a specific amount of time and under stress, but you cannot catch all of these failures without wearing out the product.

Some might say that Everlast should use better components. However, it is challenging to find a 2200µF 250V Aluminum Capacitor with a better rating than 3000 Hrs @ 105°C. There is indication that the one Everlast uses might be better than 3000 hours (possibly 5000 hrs), though it is hard to find the exact specs.

I ending up opening up the unit by removing several boards. There is nothing that gave me heartburn from a build and component perspective.

Now on to the customer service aspect:

After finding this, I decided to call Mark (Lugweld) that sold me the unit. I'm on PST this time of year and he is on EST, so it was almost 10:00pm his time. He picked up immediately (I was surprised, expected his voice mail). Anyway, we walked through the failure and what I found. I asked if it would be possible to get a replacement board instead of shipping the unit back.

He asked if I could send him some photos and he would email them to Everlast first thing Monday. I did this Saturday evening. Monday morning at 10:00am I receive a call from Oleg (owner of Everlast). He was going to send me the power board until we both realized this is not just a plug in replacement. I told him I did not mind desoldering the board's wires (I had already taken out the capacitor and located a suitable replacement just incase). He said no....the unit is too new to have problems (I purchased this in April of this year). He asked if I could wait until later Monday evening, but he would arrange a new unit to be shipped to me.

That evening I received an email from Katya (Customer Service Rep. Everlast) stating that Oleg has a new 255EXT to ship me and asked that I use the UPS return label they supplied to ship my unit back. I then received an email from Oleg saying the factory had just completed a run of 255EXT's and I would be receiving one direct from the factory.

I had to go to Phoenix on Tuesday August 2, so I dropped my welder off at a UPS store on my way. (I did pay the UPS store $20 to package my welder properly. I had just used the original 255EXT box to ship a bunch of stuff to my daughter....never fails!)

Today, August 3 I receive a message from DHL that I had a shipment arriving on Friday, August 5th! The package had been picked up on August 2 and was in route to me!

Wow, if that is not customer service than I simply do not know what is. Not only did the Rep. take my call late on a weekend, he followed it through to the HQ and the owner intervened on my behalf. He made it happen fully at his expense.

Customer service is everything. They have earned a customer for life.

Glad to hear they got you squared away. I agree, customer service is everything.

So, what happened with the replacement welder?
Replacement welder is new from the factory. Works perfect. Here's the factory new box that arrived that Friday by DHL with new 255EXL welder in it.

replacement-1.jpg

replacement-2.jpg

Everlast has earned my business from this point on. I will not buy another welder from anyone else but Everlast.

I have read this thread through and as such am sold.

My friend iz looking at the 185 for body work. Seems like a decent starting unit.

When I can afford it I will step up to H2O cool and a 255.

Might take a year but I am sold.

Thanks for all the fantastic pics and descriptions.

Back