New PM-1228 Joins the Crew

Looks good. How long does it take to print?

One of these days I will CNC the PM-728 mill, but probably not the lathe. I am thinking about putting an ELS on the lathe however. But the 3D printer is magical. Send it a sliced and diced CAD design and wake up to a present every morning!

I've got the @clough42 ELS on my old Grizzly G4000 Lathe. Man, what a difference that makes!

I'm definitely thinking about an ELS and I have looked at every one out there, including the Clough42 and your nice thread. I should have put one on the old lathe, it had only change gearing (no shifting at all), so I never changed it from 0.005 feeding (or learned how to single point thread). The 1228 has 15 speeds for feeding and threading which is a nice start but there are still a pile of change gears that I don't want to be using. I would like a setup that allows using any of the 15 gearbox speeds so the ELS needs an input and display arranged to accommodate that. So it is a bit different from any that I've seen so far. But I've worked out the math and enjoy real time coding so that part should be fun. I have the encoder and an extra motor, I bought 3 Nema 23's for the mill CNC project but later found that Z needed a larger Nema 34. The hard part is figuring out mounting on the new 1228 without mauling the new machine or taking it offline for very long. I was looking at the $4 Pi Pico which runs at 133 MHz and has dual cores, so one can do the realtime encoder to motor pulse generation and the other can do the user interface. At 2000 rpm with a 1024 line encoder there are over 900 Pico clock cycles per encoder edge transition event so not too difficult to keep up with the real time part.

Last edited:
Oh, cool! ....could be a fun project. Yup, I fully understand thee bit about having the lathe off-line. I was able to do mine keeping the lathe on-line all the way through.

I'm enjoying the 1228. I didn't have power cross feed before, have been using that to part off a bunch of rings for a project. It was so fun I did more than I needed. :)

I know that feeling! ....last month we designed and made a custom coolant flow indicator/sensor for a client's Cosmetic Laser, it went so well and we were so pleased with It, we made another just to keep around the shop.
20220321_154340.jpg

Very neat. I keep thinking I need a CO2 laser so I can do acrylic. But I should probably just get on with the CNC install on the mill... I've been collecting parts for it since before the virus..

Back