New PM 1127VF-LB Lathe

Just got my PM 1127 last week too(Also bought a mill). Pictures of both below.

PM recommended SAE 80-90 gear oil, so I bought Lucas LUC10043 on amazon. Showed up in two days. Fortunately, my gear box was full. Now I'm adjusting the lathe. Did an average job of levelling it. Now I'm chasing .003 of taper over 10". Might have to start over with my levelling. Mill was much easier to level within a half a thou.

View attachment 333240View attachment 333241

Yeah, I haven't got that far yet, however does look like we had same thought on table I looked for the one with center leg
could not find it local.

My gearbox and the cross slide both very low on oil, did you fill yours up to top of sight glass or middle of glass?

The sight glass on the apron on mine is set a bit low, according to PM. Oil leaks out of there through the bore for the cross feed. Just so you know you might end up with oil in the pan when you fill it to the middle of the sight glass. It's ok and doesn't indicate a problem.

I've seen people recommend changing the oil right when you get it. I did just to see if anything bad came out, nothing to be concerned with did.

Well I plan on draining what in it now, I don't know what they put in and I don't like mixing different brands of any type oil.

I did place order with mcmaster carr expect my shipment tuesday

I did send email to PM before coming to this site, was surprised at the answer I got back on oil type today.

PM answer
(Mobile 627 is no longer made. you can use automotive gear oil instead, or the hydraulic oil from tractor supply that Nicole mentioned.)

I would have thought they give me a part number for brand of Oil as I requested.

Yeah, I haven't got that far yet, however does look like we had same thought on table I looked for the one with center leg
could not find it local.

My gearbox and the cross slide both very low on oil, did you fill yours up to top of sight glass or middle of glass?
I bought the bench from Sam's 5 years ago and it had my Little Machine Shop Mini Mill and 40's vintage Atlas 618 lathe on it. It is actually fairly stable.

Update on the oil
I'm very surprised at the amount of oil I drained out tonight I hope this is not a sign of other things the might be wrong.

Oil pan is one of the small magnet trays you get from harbor freight so you understand size. And yes it was clean when I started

Attachments

• Cross Slide Oil.JPG
    Cross Slide Oil.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 131
  • Gear Box Oil.JPG
    Gear Box Oil.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 131
Back