New Pm 1030v Lathe

Pulled the gears and swapped them out today, just to see what I could make happen.

Went with your example for 24tpi threads.

Still not the best, but for my 2nd attempt, I'll take it.

Is that a chip guard you have at the bottom there? If so, I would love some details on it.

It is. I just had some .080"/2mm aluminum sheet laying around so I just put some holes in it using the rest holes already in the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You need to load your photos to H-M using the instructions that are below where you compose your post. They need to be in a file format that you upload to this site. That is how you make the red X's go away and let us see what you are posting.

Reactions: Z2V
My apologies. I do most of my posting via TapaTalk, didn't know the photos were supported here.

Let's see if this works. Try #1.

IMG_7762.JPG

Try #2.

IMG_7788.JPG

And my chip protector.

IMG_7787.JPG

Looks like your compound angle is off. Depending on how your lathe graduations are laid out, you need either 29°–29.5° (from perpendicular) or 60°–60.5° (from the lathe axis).

The general principle is that the angle must not exceed that of the thread flank. As you get closer to 30° from perpendicular, the chip on the right side gets thinner and more of the cut takes place on the left. If you go over 30°, though, you wind up with a lop-sided thread and a staircase on the right flank.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Looks like your compound angle is off. Depending on how your lathe graduations are laid out, you need either 29°–29.5° (from perpendicular) or 60°–60.5° (from the lathe axis).

Maybe I need to experiment with it some.

It's set as close as I could get it to 29.5°, I think..

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

You want 60.5 degrees on that scale, which correlates to 29.5 degrees relative to the spindle, at 0 degrees the cutter is perpendicular to the spindle.
29.5 degrees.jpg
20150615_181149.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, well learning has occurred..

I'll see if I can go play with it in a few. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure thing. The big parts are:

Tool Set Up

Now that you have your change gears set up, its time to set up your tool. First thing to do is set the compound. There are 2 bolts right above the base that you will loosen to rotate it. You want to set it to about 29.5 degrees. It doesn't need to be perfect, but do your best to get close. This will make sure the tool is cutting on one side of the thread instead of both sides. This will cut the cutting force in half and make it much easier on the machine (think turning vs parting or using a form tool). Use a fishtail gage to grind a HSS tool to the right shape. You want to get it as close as you can here. You can try using the carbide triangles or threading inserts, but I never had much luck with those. It goes better with HSS. Make sure the tool is sharp and the cutting edge is touched up on a stone. Also give the nose a slight radius. Also use the fishtail gage to make sure the tool is perpendicular to the work. That part is important too. Once the compound is set to 29.5 degrees and the tool is squared up to the work, you are ready to move on.

I'm confused here. Shooter123456 has the same machine and told you 29.5and his threads seemed ok but you had to set the compound to 60.5 to make it work?
The threads I cut on my old Craftsman I set the compound to the same 29.5
What am I not seeing here.

Back