New Grizzly G0755 mill is set up and running

Hi Everyone,

New guy here. I've been researching different mills and am just about settled on the G0755. I had been considering the 0704 but if you consider the price difference there isn't that much between them price wise and it seems you're getting a whole lot more mill with the 0755 over the 0704. One question I have and y'all will probably laugh at me but here goes; how do you get the darn thing off of that pallet after it's been rolled into your garage? Engine hoist?

Grizzly says put two bars through the stand and lift with a fork lift. I used an engine hoist.
Dave

Hi Everyone,

New guy here. I've been researching different mills and am just about settled on the G0755. I had been considering the 0704 but if you consider the price difference there isn't that much between them price wise and it seems you're getting a whole lot more mill with the 0755 over the 0704. One question I have and y'all will probably laugh at me but here goes; how do you get the darn thing off of that pallet after it's been rolled into your garage? Engine hoist?

You may want to wait on lifting it off the pallet. I ended up just cutting off the ends, The mill stand is so short that the extra 5.5 or so inches of extra altitude really helps.
Scotty

CIMG2917.GIF

Last edited:
Dave,
I guess if you're using a hoist the manual gives you an idea where to safely attach straps to the mill(hopefully!)?

Chips,
That's a good idea, I probably could use some extra height.

Thank you both for the advice!!

The question of getting the mill off the pallet is actually a very good one. I faced that problem after I received mine and scratched my head for a few days. The pallet is only 5½ inches in height but that machine is very heavy and you don't want to drop it when removing the pallet! I don't have an engine hoist so this is how I managed:

I used two 2x6 x 10 foot long rafters supported on one end on two static car jacks. On the other end I used a 2 ton hydraulic cylinder. Short 2x4's at either end of the long rafters were nailed to keep them from moving away from each other during the operation. I then inserted two, 3 foot long steel pipes in the holes at the top of the base. As the instuction manual states, this is from where you are supposed to lift, normally with a fork lift.

A few pumps of the hydraulic cylinder and the whole machine easily levitated above the now unbolted pallet. The pallet was removed and the empty space underneeth temporatily filled with a few 2X4's stacked to a height lower than the pallet height. The hydraulic cylinder was then lowered until the rafters touched the ground. The whole rafters and support were then repositionned (the static jacks moved more to the rear) so I could lift again to remove more 2x4's. Using this back and forth technique I was able to gradually remove the remaining wood cleats and lower the machine on to the floor. I then lifted with only one steel pipe, inserted the other pipe under the base and rolled the mill to its final position in the garage.

moving milling 2.jpgMoving milling 4.jpgmoving milling 5.jpgMoving milling 3.jpg

By the way I agree with the comments about the base being to low on this mill. I would really like the X-Y table to be 8 to 12 inches higher. I wish Grizzly would supply a higher base. I hadn't thought of leaving part of the pallet to keep the machine higher (clever) but, in retrospect, I prefer the machine be on a more solid base. My garage floor is sloped to force any water into the drain, centrally located on the floor. I had to prop up one corner of the base to level the machine. A cut up pallet would not have been very solid with this arrangement. Some day I hope to make a spacer, either to sit the entire machine on or fit it between the base and the machine, so as to lift it to a more confortable working position. But for the moment, one year after, I remain very satisfied with the purchase. I use it often. For my telescope making hobby, this machine is more than I will ever need.

One last thing: A few owners mentionned having shimed the vertical column after mesuring a lack of perpendicularity to the X-Y table. I've not measured mine but, I have a question for those who measured a misalignment: did you tighten the two bolts on the vertical slide that support the milling head before taking your perpendicualrity measurement? Normally, when you machine, you would tighten these before cutting, to reduce vibration and ensure a clean cut. Tightening these down would slightly straighen the head since you are, in fact, pushing against the gib of the vertical dovetail way. If you don't tighten, the weight of the milling head would force it to lean forward somewhat. 0.005" over 8.5 inches is not much!

Pierre Lemay
Montréal.

moving milling 2.jpg Moving milling 3.jpg Moving milling 4.jpg moving milling 5.jpg

Hi Pierre,
Thank you VERY much for your lengthy and helpful post! I think this is what I will have to do to get mine in position. And yep, I did it; I ordered the G0755 and it is due to arrive tomorrow! I also ordered a South Bend 8K lathe and that baby is due today!! I'm really excited as it's going to be a very fun weekend for me. Now if only some of you guys lived close to me so you could help this noob with set up....

Thank you all for the helpful advice but I must warn you, I'll probably be asking quite a few more questions..:nuts:

You won't regret it. With all it's features the G0755 mill is well priced. Altough not designed for professional use, the quality and accuracy are acceptable for hobby use. Two recommandations after a year of use:
-You will need to brake in the gear box and change the oil. Grizzly only sells the oil in very small or very large quantities. I ended up buying 2 gallons (one would have been sufficient) of Mobil Oil Vactra #2 way oil, ISO Grade 68, SAE Grade 20 from McMaster-Carr (catalog item 2158K21).
-When you setup, add a soft (rubber?) corner protector on the lower left-hand corner of the mills electric box. Your scalp will thank you the first time you hit your head!

Have fun and work safely.

Pierre

Piere,

I forgot about this and just ran across it again. Thank you for your helpful advice, your idea is exactly what I used to get it off the pallet and onto the floor, worked like a charm. I've been enjoying the mill, it's been great. I do need to change the oil and will get what your recommended, thanks again!!

Best,
John

I see there are a few of you in this thread that own the G0755 . How are your machines holding up ? I'm looking at buying the G0755
Hi , my name is jon and am new to this forum , and just bought the g0755..

I have just unpacked my new 755 and can say that I am very impressed with the solidity of the machine. .

I paid the $34 extra for the lift gate service which covered the lathe and the mill (one delivery) the driver was a great guy he brought both machines up the driveway and into my garage. The mill is in one piece and in a big wooden crate that just fit under the 7' garage door.

I've had my G0755 since September and am really liking it.
Dave

I just got the G0755...

As far as the machine goes, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. It is very robust (I was especially pleased when I saw the machine base which is a solid casting, not assembled from steel plates). It has more than enough range for most of the hobby work I am likely to use it for in my lifetime (my previous mill was a ≈80 years old 0-8 inch Cincinati mill with little range for anything).
The negatives I've found so far are few but indicate a lack of quality control: loose electrical connections (the power on lamp keeps flashing because the wire is probably not quite tight enough); the green paint on the machine base is easily scraped off, showing the original blue; the finish of the sliding surfaces for the table are rougher than you would expect for a milling machine. It doesn't necessarily affect the accuracy but I would have expected a smoother surface.

Finaly the one thing I notice about this type of milling machine is that when working near the table I am always crouched to see the work progress.

Hello all . I see there are several G0755 owners in this thread. I'm looking at buying a G0755 soon. How are the machines holding up for you ? Looks like the last post in this thread was about a year ago.
Any feedback on your G0755 is much appreciated.
There are a lot of G0704 vids on youtube , not much on the G0755 .

Thanks much, Steve

If anything it has improved. Learning what it likes any where the comfort zones are. Not just the mill but milling in general not burning up so many tools now. I do occasionally wish for a bigger machine but the 755 covers what I need to do.

Back