New DRO Install on a G0619/SX3

If you haven't already seen them there are several instuctional videos on the 3i from the drostore.com on youtube.

yeah, he has some good simple videos which only shows how easy and simple running those tasks is with a DRO. almost takes the fun out of the scratching your head thinking "now what?" or "how many turns did I just turn the wheel?!?" :thinking:

anywhoo...

With the hole locating block made earlier It was easy to mark and drill the mounting holes for the M5(scale) and M4(cover) using a #19, and #60 drill bits respectively. I originally didn't like the idea of mounting the scale onto the black table cap which houses the screw bracket and all as it isn't flush with the table, and has all the bolts holding it to the table, but after thinking about it decided to go ahead with it as otherwise I would have to mill some extension block (AL) on the other side of the table since the scale is a tad bit too long to be otherwise mounted. the hole in the black cap goes all the way to the bolt that holds the cap to the table- just be careful not to drill through the bolt ;)

IMG_20130613_215728.jpg

I tapped the holes, and it seems like my cheapo taps were eaten alive by the CI table.. might need to place an order for better quality taps in those sizes. I may be able to complete this install with current taps, but it's questionable, and I would probably have to dump them at some point.

the placement of everything seems very pleasing so far (non operational stage):

IMG_20130613_220221.jpg

and there is about 1+mm of spacing between scale and cover (doesn't show too well in pic, but it's nice and visible and parallel throughout:

IMG_20130613_220254.jpg

I still have to remove cover, and install the reader itself, but it started to get late, and I decided to continue when I have better focus.

But I did wanted to do a bit more, so I installed the DRO keypad on the column. At first I questioned the stiffness of the column cover to hold the arm and the keypad, but the keypad itself is fairly lightweight, and the column cover seems to be made out of pretty thick quality sheet metal (1/8" thick or so) and was tapped to take the M5 bolts, and seems to have 0 flex in it and holes things very well:

IMG_20130613_222330.jpg

So... next step would be to install the X-reader, followed by testing the X axis, and installing the Y, and Z there after... one step at a time. so far so good.

IMG_20130613_215728.jpg IMG_20130613_220221.jpg IMG_20130613_220254.jpg IMG_20130613_222330.jpg

I tapped the holes, and it seems like my cheapo taps were eaten alive by the CI table.. might need to place an order for better quality taps in those sizes. I may be able to complete this install with current taps, but it's questionable, and I would probably have to dump them at some point.

That is why I was asking for your help with the bolt size, so I could order some high quality taps. Thanks again. Chuck

Hit a bit of a snag.

I am trying to follow the recommended instructions of locating the scales and readers which coinsides with them being out of the way and with the least real estate taken. however with the SX3 and with the standard/larger scales this means that the X axis is a real PITA to install. While I had the scale itself installed properly so far, the reader seems to be a bit of a challenge as the mounting holes are so close to the bottom base that the drill chuck doesn't have a good reach and with the smaller drill bits - they don't have a good reach either. I had to place the bit with very little support in the chuck just to be able to get some penetration:

IMG_20130614_221647.jpg

I am not sure if this hole will be deep enough to be able to properly tap it and use it but we'll wait and see. as you can see, tapping this hole will be an ever greater challenge as there is no tap chuck that could be used as the hole is so close to the base. I may have to machine some block to push the tap with while using a wrench for the rotation force:
IMG_20130614_221733.jpg

Unfortunately as suspected, my crappy taps were indeed eaten beyond use, so right now I ordered new (better) HSS taps and may grind a couple of them (1 M4, and 1 M5) to be used as bottoming taps so that I will have more threading capabilities in these limited holes:
IMG_20130614_221946.jpg

So right now I am going to have to wait for new taps to arrive. can take up to 2 weeks for the M4, and 2 days for the M5, so I may continue with installing the other scales, and return to this M4 specific holes part when I get the tap. If the reach of the drill/tap won't suffice, I am thinking about mounting the reader to a block (pictured here for illustration, but block will be milled to size) and mounting the block to the bottom plate/base for easier access to drilling/tapping:
IMG_20130615_202306.jpg

aaah.. the pleasures of dealing with hiccups :) but isn't that why we are in this business to begin with?

IMG_20130614_221647.jpg IMG_20130614_221733.jpg IMG_20130614_221946.jpg IMG_20130615_202306.jpg

Since I cannot find any local suppliers of proper metric taps (Lowes seems to have stopped carrying taps, and my local Ace hardware store doesn't have the correct threads I need plus it's not HSS which at this point, I'd rather stock up on HSS taps and not carbon) I ordered some online.

the M5 taps should be here tomorrow, but the M4 taps I got notice are planned to arrive in late July!!!! ?!?!? huh?!? ... oh well.... so I made another order from enco seeing they have free shipping, and also get a few other things from them that I was holding off until they ran a free shipping deal. should be here earlier than late July (ha), in the mean time I'll work on other axis once M5 taps arrive to save on time (if I will have time that is).

where do you guys find quality taps locally (I'm in MA, but any ideas would be helpful for future needs)?

Try a local RC hobby shop for taps. Also in Mas I would thing there should be Machine tool stores all over.

Sharon,

Is there anything special about the included mounting screws that preclude them being converted to a standard size that'll fit? I'm making a guess that the read head has clearance holes in it.

John

Sharon,

Is there anything special about the included mounting screws that preclude them being converted to a standard size that'll fit? I'm making a guess that the read head has clearance holes in it.

John

not really, they are standard metric cap screws. the scales and readers have clearance holes for the shanks and heads but the screws can be replaced by standard imperial cap screws or similar sizes. Since I don't have those either, and since I already started mounting some of the metric screws - I decided to stick to a same system as opposed to mix and match. otherwise I would have just gotten imperial screws more than likely.

I used to buy everything local even if I had to drive 30 minutes as I have a black cloud that follows me when it comes to ordering tools online. I have kind of given up on that since diesel fuel is so expensive. Here are the taps that I ordered for the DRO install. They are both USA TiN coated plug taps. I paid $12 for the 5mm and $11 for the 4mm from <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pNorth Bay</ST1:p</st1:City> cutting tools on Ebay. They have a huge selection and offer free shipping on 3 or more items so I picked up a carbide lathe bit for $2 more. Fast shipping too. Always 3 days from the left coast to me on the right coast.

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

pretty good. I ordered the M5 taps through Amazon for $6 for a set of 3 with 2 day shipping, and $2 for a set of 2 M4.. unfortunatley the M4 will take forever to arrive, so I ordered a few from Enco for about the same cost and should be here by the end of the week.

with 2 little ones running around the house, I simply don't have time to be driving around to buy toys... I mean tools. my shop time usually starts at 10pm when all stores are closed (except online)

Back