New Dragon 14x40 Lathe Photos, VFD, Wiring, and Questions.

Hey folks, just wanted to say thank you for the great feedback, info, and recommendations so far. I'm unfamiliar with sources/vendors for parts I'll need so please share links or names if you can.

I have a 12x40 lathe and use a BXA tool post and holders on mine. I purchased them from http://www.cdcotools.com. I know that some may groan at buying such an inexpensive tool post and holders, but seriously, it has one job to do and that is to hold the cutting tool. Mine works fine and I can't hardly make the tool holders for what they sell them for.
If that VFD has a fan it, just cut some holes in the sides and bottom which will provide for sufficient air flow. If the VFD does not have a fan it, I would pick up a 40mm computer fan and mount it in the bottom. There should be a 12 or 24 volt leg on that VFD that you can pull from. I 3D printed louvers for my VFD enclosure on my Sharp mill.

Last edited:
With QCTP's there are trade-offs, like most other things. Bigger is more rigid, but is more cumbersome. Rigid can be better, but if the lathe isn't sturdy enough to take advantage of it, there is no payoff.

50 years ago, we were using brazed-point carbide bits on WWII-era machines. A 1/2" bit was tough enough to use on a 20HP lathe, and with flood coolant you could take 1/2" off a side using 1140 steel. When insert bits became affordable, the bits and holders got larger, and there was an increase in productivity, but not a spectacular one. For a home shop, the trade-off is more about getting the bit properly aligned with the work than taking the most material in a cut.

You have a 4 position turret tool post, nothing wrong with just using it. Make yourself a nice selection of shims that fit well (avoid a stack of cards, after a while you will have a goto selection), it is quick to set up a makes for a bit more rigid set up (you can keep the tool in a bit closer to the compound, if you want to).

I have changed to Qctp (first one was PhaseII wedge, the next two were 40P Multifix style), but the first 35 years I used the 4 way turret - it is not a bad arrangement. As for what style Qctp? Having used two of the common systems, my preference is for the 40P Multifix over the Aloris style (not a big enough deal that I’d replace the PhaseII system).

About the handle position, put a washer under it, or skim a little bit off the contact face (obviously keep it away from the chuck) to bring it around to a comfortable orientation.

Good luck with the new machine.

Thanks! I'll look into the items you mentioned. I have a washer in there now to keep the handle pointing away from the chuck. I thought there might be a more integrated way. Thank you again!

Thanks! I'll look into the items you mentioned. I have a washer in there now to keep the handle pointing away from the chuck. I thought there might be a more integrated way. Thank you again!
It looks like the bolt is in a T-slot, can you slide it out and try it turned round 180?

Break in done
Oil changed
Oil leak fixed (headstock top lid gasket)
DRO fuse replacement soldered and it's working
Mounted dro in likely a temporary location. I'll see how it works out.
Ways leveled (not twisted). Waiting for some 2" round bar before I can complete true up.

I also ordered one of these drill chucks. I hope it's relatively decent.

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_193255578.jpg
    IMG_20231121_193255578.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back