New Dragon 14x40 Lathe Photos, VFD, Wiring, and Questions.

aluminum

Registered
Registered
Hi all. Looking to show you my new lathe and also ask some questions and get some recommendations. Thank you in advance!

This lathe was imported by someone who was looking to get into gunsmithing but ended up getting a different job and selling the lathe to me. The previous owner never used it and was having trouble adapting it to single phase power.

I recently finished reconfiguring much of the electrical including adding a VFD, potentiometer, and enclosure as well as new lighted jog switch, and coolant switch. I also changed all the wiring to 14 AWG instead of 18. The lathe came with a DRO and I'm redoing the mounting and repairing a blown fuse that was directly soldered to the internal board, which is why it is not shown in photos. If you're curious, I paid $4800 for it.

Please let me know what you think about the lathe, price paid, feedback on wiring and VFD, etc; positive and negative feedback welcome.

As far as questions, I need some advice on qctp+holders and a basic set of cutting tools as well as where to buy. Base of cross slide to spindle center height is ~1.75". I do have a 4 jaw, 3 jaw, and rests and centers already. I am also looking to replace the 3 phase coolant pump with a 220v single phase pump so let me know if you have a good source for that. Thank you for your feedback and recommendations!

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_163811758.jpg
    IMG_20231015_163811758.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20231015_194532711.jpg
    IMG_20231015_194532711.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 61
  • VID_20231015_194629851.mp4
    12.4 MB
  • IMG_20231015_163859960.jpg
    IMG_20231015_163859960.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20231014_133026886.jpg
    IMG_20231014_133026886.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20231117_173227797~2.jpg
    IMG_20231117_173227797~2.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20231117_173130363~2.jpg
    IMG_20231117_173130363~2.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20231015_163451186.jpg
    IMG_20231015_163451186.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 80
Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of responses about what tooling to buy and use. Not a lot of "wrong" answers but lots of experience and opinions. Be thinking about what you want to machine and what material you will be mostly working with. I am 90% 6062 Aluminum and use carbide insert tooling. I started with HSS (High Speed Steel) but have found that the carbide tooling works for my needs.

Nice lathe! Good work on the wiring, it looks like you have some experience in that sort of thing.
How much experience do you have in machining?
What do you plan to do with the lathe? Hobby, small shop perhaps?
Great first post.
Welcome!

Looks like your typical 14" import. Price sounds pretty good to me.

QCTP: wedge type or multifix? Folks generally seem to have no problems with the generic import QCTP. The fit and finish is certainly lower than a Dorian or Aloris. I like the idea of the multifix because you can index the position of the toolholder, but that said: never have had a burning need to ever rotate my TP during normal turning ops...only if using the compound for angled cuts. You'll have an easier time finding used wedge-style tool holders vs. the multifix. So like most things: it depends on your budget and your penchant for quality. :)

Looks like a CXA size would be the best fit.

Is there oil in the machine? I don't see any in the change gear sight glass...

Looks like your typical 14" import. Price sounds pretty good to me.

QCTP: wedge type or multifix? Folks generally seem to have no problems with the generic import QCTP. The fit and finish is certainly lower than a Dorian or Aloris. I like the idea of the multifix because you can index the position of the toolholder, but that said: never have had a burning need to ever rotate my TP during normal turning ops...only if using the compound for angled cuts. You'll have an easier time finding used wedge-style tool holders vs. the multifix. So like most things: it depends on your budget and your penchant for quality. :)

Looks like a CXA size would be the best fit.

Is there oil in the machine? I don't see any in the change gear sight glass...
Hey thanks for your thoughtful response as well as the others who've contributed so far! I'm thinking wedge type just because I've used them before and never used multifix. I have read a lot of positive things about multifix posts but haven't found a good video showing how it works. I don't even know how to properly use the tool post installed right now. It seems to me I can't adjust the tool height on this one besides shims. I would love to know if there's a height adjustment on it that I'm maybe overlooking. I can't seem to adjust the direction that the handle sticks out either. I already bent the handle when it impacted the chuck. Doh! Frustrating to use this one with my inexperience with it.

I have only minimal machining experience from a class in schooI where I made a few parts on a lathe and a few on a Bridgeport knee mill. Most of the parts were for this saw project (photo below).

As far as qctp/holder size is concerned, I understand the PM version of this size lathe comes with BXA but you as well as Discount Machine Tools on eBay believes CXA is appropriate. I'm not really sure of the cost difference (cxa vs bxa) of a dozen or so holders, or what the pros/cons are, or if I even have a choice, so I could use some advice on that. Cheap, unpretty, and rough is fine for my first qctp/holder set. I could also use a drill chuck for the tailstock (mt4 I believe). I think I saw a bxa set from grizzly with chuck for pretty cheap.

Oil does need to be filled, break in done, and changed. Good eye.

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_161525~2.jpg
    IMG_20221028_161525~2.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20221028_161605.jpg
    IMG_20221028_161605.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 18
CXA is going to cost you more and be more rigid. I use BXA on my 15" lathe and am happy with it. I think Shars tool https://www.shars.com/products is a good place to shop. It pays to buy in sets of holders. Also deals come on on ebay.

Now, i did pop for the wedge style BXA over the piston style. Same issue: wedge costs more and its a bit better.

Nice lathe! Good work on the wiring, it looks like you have some experience in that sort of thing.
How much experience do you have in machining?
What do you plan to do with the lathe? Hobby, small shop perhaps?
Great first post.
Welcome!
Thank you. Minimal machining experience in one class in school. Please see my previous reply with the saw photos.
I'm changing careers from computer systems administrator to Industrial Designer. I'm back in school after 23 years but I'm struggling with some health issues so the transition is going slow.
As my health hopefully gets better, I plan to resume school and work part time from home as a freelance Industrial Designer doing design and prototype work. I have an interest in mobile electronics and installation products, motorcycle luggage and automotive accessories, hand and power tools, woodworking tools, kitchen and cooking accessories, coffee gadgets, etc.

Looks nice- I would make sure the vfd has some airflow to prevent overheating
Good point. I'm keeping an eye on temps with a plan to install a dust filter and fan if needed. It's a plastic enclosure that is well sealed so I'm expecting to have to address heat issues, preferably before I damage the VFD.

Back