New California Law Bans Products Containing Brass

In the theatre of my mind I see a shady character in a dark trench coat lingering at the opening to a questionable alley. He paces shifting back and forth and hisses in a loud whisper to passerby " Hey buddy, you want to buy some brass?"

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

Why are they using brass in a rotary table? Bushings should be bronze no? Maybe a worm gear that should also be bronze? Or am o mixed up on which has the better bearing qualities?

Cartridge Brass (260 Alloy) does not contain lead by design. 360 alloy brass has lead in it for better machining ability.

Can't help but look on in wonder...which has their head further UP .it... Griz or Cali... In all honesty, I long ago came to expect this sort of stuff from Cali, but to hear of the attitude of Griz ....that's a puzzle!

I really think SOME BOZO at Grizzly has misinterpreted the California law. The ban is only for leaded brass plumbing fixtures. And...Its been around for a few years. Leaded brass plumbing has been faded out for the past decade. Same with leaded solder for copper fitting. It has to do with the EPA and lead contaminated drinking water.

Brass has not been banned. NO WAY. Just think about the marine industry. They could not live without brass.

For what it's worth...Here in Escondido, California, my Home Depot still stocks brass nuts, bolts, and screws. Also brass plated door hardware (hinges, handles, etc). And in the plumbing, brass fittings and valves - these are marked as being lead-free.

Back