New California Law Bans Products Containing Brass

Went thru a similar with BeCu a year years ago. Granted, pure Be is highly toxic and should never be handled with bare hands, and of course any machining of it is very hazardous unless you are set up for it. However, pure Be is very rarely used for anything. The amount of Be in BeCu typically found in machined parts is 2% (Alloy 25). And skin contact poses so little a hazard it requires no special precautions.

I have a set of vintage (80's) Ping irons made from BeCu with a sweet spot the size Texas, unfortunately, I never could keep the ball straight. Perhaps the balls I was using where made in CA hahah.:excitement:

Yup lol.....trying their level best to get away from the scary beryllium.

One use I remember for it (in the oilfield) is a special "window" in one or two of the downhole measuring tools. It is Gamma Ray transparent, and although GR penetrates many things, there aren't many things that have virtually no effect on the properties of the GR. So they create a "window" that can take the pressure, and shoot through it, and sometimes a second to cover a sensor to receive the Gamma reflection............anyway, we are waaay OT lol

So, I guess no more solder with lead in it? What about all the electronics with solder joints? What about the free machining steels with lead?

And it’s in the news today. Children of Oakland California have high concentrations of lead in their bodies. Experts think it’s from the old houses built before 1980 with lead paint.

We still make 63/37 and other lead alloys for industry.
Pierre

US Beryllium had place near Hazleton, PA and when they shut it down it was gated off with guards patrolling the property. It was on the property that was formerly the Lehigh Valley RR roundhouse where my grandfather worked and next to the patch town my mother grew up in. If you do a web search for beryllium and Hazleton you'll find some news articles about the health hazards workers were exposed to. Too bad, it had some of the best huckleberry picking in the area.

Oh there is still leaded solder, just restrictions on where you can use it. So since overall use has diminished, cost has gone up. So if you find a deal on some and feel that you need it, it doesn't hurt to have a little stash. I know some guys that went out and bought 30-40 lbs of the stuff. I guess they plan on a lot of soldering. I don't plan on using all that much so I'm not going to hoard it to that extent. I did plumb my house with copper, and I did opt for 50/50.....I just like the way it flows so much better. The threat of brain damage is primarily to children with developing brains, so that's not a problem in my place.

Not to try to shoot holes in any study or anything, but I had a cousin (second actually), an older guy who has since passed at a ripe old age, and not from anything related to lead, who worked on radiators, first for others and then his own shop.....I think about 60 years worth of exposure, all with no special precautions. When all this lead scare and restrictions came along, he went through a battery of tests...several in fact over several years, as did his son (3rd cousin?) who had always worked in their own shop. I can't even begin to guess at how much solder they went thru over all those years. Literally tons. All the tests showed normal to actually below standard blood-lead levels. I was actually more concerned with the acid they used during the process. But no health problems from anything related to the work ever showed up. Maybe just some people are more susceptible to it, and for them the regulations do protect them and need to be there. But I know for a fact that it is not a universal risk.

I know we a straying from the original topic, but the real source of lead was the gasoline, that was leaded. Washed our hands in it, breathed the fumes, lead on the surfaces that we touched and played on etc etc. A friend who has now passed on, was a director of GNB. They made submarine batteries for example. The government was all hot under the collar at one time about lead escaping their site. Well the outcome of the testing was the water coming off their property was cleaner than the rain water the tester had collected from a sample collection trap that the tester had himself put on the roof! Today the sources of lead are much less common.
Pierre

I don't know about CA, but the European RoHS regulation has an exception for brass. There is also an exception for high-temperature leaded solder. I believe they were forced to make these exceptions because there was no suitable lead-free substitute for certain applications.

Leaded Solder's still available, the exceptions are mostly for Military, Aviation and Medical electronics - in other words, where reliability is Important and lead-free's inherent creep and crystallisation properties will render (consumer?) products unusable after a very few years...

The took the Cadmium out of silver solder though, years earlier, and it doesn't flow like it used to :(

Dave H. (the other one)

Yes, the lead free solder doesn’t flow the same when doing copper plumbing as does leaded solder. But, I have found that the right kind of flux has a lot to do with how well the lead free flows. And proper heat. And making sure all is very clean! Then no problems!

So I guess that Grizzly won't be selling any lathes in CA because of the brass oilers. Or any of the other multitude of their products that contain a bit of brass. I wonder how long it will take for Mr. Balolia to realize he has just killed a major market.

The ninth largest economy in the world at last check...

Back