New California Law Bans Products Containing Brass

Back in the 1990's I worked for a company down here that was bought out by Baker Hughes. By the time their HSE department was finished with their assessment of the property, they made us get rid of several metals we used for manufacture of some of the parts we supplied to the oilfield. One of those metals was Beryllium Copper. We had over 2000 lbs of it on inventory in raw material and finished parts. Any orders in process in house were cancelled. The material was quarantined. We could not even touch it! When it was wrote off the books, a couple of us were going to haul off one of the 4" OD bars of it and take it home. No way in heck that was going to happen! They had a envirometal company come in and properly haul it off. What a bunch of idiots!

One of those metals was Beryllium Copper.

I kind of went through the same thing at a die casting company I used to work for. A ''chip maker'' (I'm not going to call the guy a machinist) thought he was going to die if he had to turn the beryllium copper shot pistons. He called OSHA in for air testing in the machine shop. He wore an air monitor for a whole shift while turning shot pistons. The test result: Not Detected. He darn near smacked his head on the lathe chuck trying to get the air monitor closer to the work. The only way you could ingest that stuff would be to powder it and snort it or sprinkle it on your sandwich because it drops out so fast.

Went thru a similar with BeCu a year years ago. Granted, pure Be is highly toxic and should never be handled with bare hands, and of course any machining of it is very hazardous unless you are set up for it. However, pure Be is very rarely used for anything. The amount of Be in BeCu typically found in machined parts is 2% (Alloy 25). And skin contact poses so little a hazard it requires no special precautions. We had one guy on a little 18n quick-turn who was convinced he was having a problem with contact dermatitis from the particle in the coolant in the machine he was running and handling the wet parts.

So we hired and independent Industrial Hygienist out of Dallas to come down and have a look. They took coolant samples from his machine and all the others where BeCu had been machined, they hung sniffers around all the burr hands' necks to take air samples where they worked. I was actually a little concerned about their exposure, myself. They spent all day with air motors and flap wheels, scotchbrite discs, files and sandpaper....all things that made fine particles (especially compared to a lathe). Their hands were black and green by the end of the day. Of course they washed before eating and smoking, but still.....some of it had to have gotten into their bloodstream, in my opinion. After a week, all the tests were done and we were nervously waiting on the results, under threat of a lawsuit from the lathe operator.
He was 100% clean. The coolant (one of the Trim products, iirc) was not a solvent for Be, and any particulate matter was too heavy to stay in suspension, so his skin tests were negative. My burr guys were, to my amazement, also clean. All well below OSHA exposure limits. We had no problem with machining BeCu. As it turned out, we had Brush-Wellman, NGK, and one other mfg of BeCu material furnish us with all the appropriate safety documentation during this period, and it all pointed to the hazardous operations the actually DO exist when working with it. We didn't do any of them. Most were more closely connected with the creation of the alloy to begin with, so it was well upstream of us in the first place. If you melt it, yes the fumes are hazardous. If you weld it, yes, the fumes are hazardous.....I forget the actual size of the particulate that was the threshold for concern, but it was on the order of smoke size . And I know of no machine shops that deal with it at a hazardous level. IMO, the concern is much overblown. I spent literally days researching and in meetings about it, and that is my opinion.

I love machining the stuff actually. Not lately, but I had picked up several jobs for other shops who got scared of it, from all over the country. It's expensive, but I like it. I have a good friend who is a major distributor of it up in WI. In fact, he owns a smelter in Italy where it is made.

Oh the operater was allergic to the coolant, so we moved him to a machining center.....no more problem. He quit not long after.

So I guess that Grizzly won't be selling any lathes in CA because of the brass oilers. Or any of the other multitude of their products that contain a bit of brass. I wonder how long it will take for Mr. Balolia to realize he has just killed a major market.

I bought a lathe, mill, collet chuck among other things from grizzly this year- after reading this thread I'm done with them. Here's an idea, don't ship only to the counties that don't allow leaded brass but do not discriminate against an entire state.

Reactions: PCT
With a degree in chemistry, I can appreciate the dangers of some materials, but sometimes, IMO, the health and safety gurus just go totally overboard.

Many states have banned disposing of CRT's in landfills because of the leaded glass used for the faceplate to prevent x rays generated during operation of the CRT from reaching viewers. I can thuink of no better way to sequester lead than to dissolve it in glass. A small amount may leach from the surface of the glass but the bulk of it is contained. A material capable of maintaining a high vacuum for years will not be permeable to any solvent that does not dissolve the glass itself.

You had best dispose of your Waterford crystal since it runs around 25% lead content. Remember, you can't landfill it though.:no no no:

BTW, I happen to live in a part of the country where you can pick lead in the form of the mineral galena off the ground.

I bought a lathe, mill, collet chuck among other things from grizzly this year- after reading this thread I'm done with them. Here's an idea, don't ship only to the counties that don't allow leaded brass but do not discriminate against an entire state.
Has anyone seen a list of counties, cities, or other municipalities that ban leaded brass? I did a search on-line and came up with nothing.

As close as we've gotten to any of that here in Texas is the banning of leaded solder used in potable water plumbing (afaik). With the advent of Pex tubing systems, not a lot of soldering is done anyway. But nationwide, in concert with certain world organizations, the RoHS act has affected the solder we use in electronics work as well, and I'm sure many of you know. I stocked up well with as much as I could find and buy of the 63/37 and 50/50 before the supplies disappeared. I really dislike the "lead free" solder. Higher temps seem to help flow, but of course complicate delicate repairs. I don't use it unless I have to, like for the hospital work.

I suppose we could ask what substitutes there are (for this brass) and who supplies them.

Back