New B & S test dial indicator to finalise the buck chuck adjustments

Thank you Bill, now i understand
i dont know why i thought to turn the dial to zero?
i do appreciate that tip, also it is much easier when indicator is set up in the QC tool holder.
Jon

LOL You turned the dial to "0" because you are used to the other gage. The DTI is different in that it utilizes both sides of "0". Hence - 0 + on the face. As I said, you are shortening the learning curve. Kudos'

"Billy G"

LOL You turned the dial to "0" because you are used to the other gage. The DTI is different in that it utilizes both sides of "0". Hence - 0 + on the face. As I said, you are shortening the learning curve. Kudos'

"Billy G"
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Jon

This is what we do friend, no less. You made it easy to help. You were precise and to the point. Glad things worked out for you.

"Billy G"

Just one thing-there is no need to use the "zero" on the dial, except that maybe it is easier to remember.

What you are really trying to do is make it so the needle does not move as you rotate the chuck-if it does not move, or moves just a tiny bit, it doesn't matter what number or position on the dial it is at(or centered on). (that's assuming the indicator is not at one of it's extremes, where motion might not be registered)

A "DTI" is different in the respect that the "0" is your friend. By using it you see easier how much you need to move. + .002, 0, -.002 This tells you that you need to move .002 to get to absolute "0". You are correct though, after you have used a "DTI" for a while the "0" is not needed. It becomes a matter of preference then. He is new to using this type of gage. It is better, IMHO, for him to learn to center on the zero. 40 years in the trade and I still use it.

"Billy G"

Hi Bill and everyone,
finally got to .0005 , and tightened down chuck bolts.

Thanks everyone for being patient and supportive.
Thanks again,
jon

Hi Bill and everyone,
finally got to .0005 , and tightened down chuck bolts.

Thanks everyone for being patient and supportive.
Thanks again,
jon

Jon

Congrats on getting it under .001!

Have you put a indicator on the lathe spindle without a chuck to see how true it runs? I'm not an expert just a wild thought.

Ahhhhhhh --- the sound of success. You done good. It only gets easier from here. Congratulations.

"Billy G"

Back