New Atlas Cross Slide (a-11)

I don't see any way to mount the compound on that type of cross slide.
I'd like to keep the compound and still have the extra T -slots.

That comes as a raw iron casting. I bought one a couple years ago, took it to a local machine shop who quoted > $1,000 to do the machining. Excuse me while I *CHOKE, GAG, and SPUTTER* !!

A friend with a BP mill helped machine it. It took us 35 hours over the course of a week to complete the machining. I am eternally grateful for his help!

It isn't perfect, we made a few minor errors in spacing the T-slots, but it is flat on top, square on all corners, the sides are parallel to the dove, the Tee slots are square to the sides, and it slides on the carriage dove very nicely. I am pleased with the final result. Works great!

Spiral_Chips

I don't see any way to mount the compound on that type of cross slide.
I'd like to keep the compound and still have the extra T -slots.

You would need to make a button to mount the compound, or the Atlas milling attachment, on it. I mounted a vertical table and used it to "tune" a cheap Pony bench vise. Photos of the set-up attached.

Spiral_Chips

DSC02458.JPG DSC02480.JPG F-B_Level.jpg DSC02489.JPG View attachment 124773

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I still need to put the old slide back on to turn the button for mounting the compound and milling attachment, plus mill at least one t-nut for the button. After that I get to reset all my QCTP tool holders for the new height...and maybe by then my 80% reveicer will be in so I can start THAT project. Amazing how one little project grows into 3 or 4 EVERY TIME! :)

Here are the buttons that I have made for my cross slide. The first one is per the prints that you receive with the cross slide. The next 2 pictures are the one that I made to use with a cross slide off a 10" lathe on my 12" lathe. This allowed me to have better adjustment with my QCTP and to also have the degree readings with the compond.
IMG_1167-1.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG

Looks like that would put it to high for the QCTP to center properly on my 12".

You could also make one out of a derelict cross slide. I don't know how the heights would work out, though as I don't know how tall the T-slot cross slide is. But one solution to the compound T-slot being too high on a 12" might be to use a 10" compound slide.

Looks like that would put it to high for the QCTP to center properly on my 12".

I used a compound off a 10" lathe on my 12" lathe. When I made the higher button I made the height to be the same with the 10" compound as my 12" compound on the original cross slide.

Sounds like a plan, as I do have one of those laying around,
If I can find it. :D

Back