New Atlas Cross Slide (a-11)

FWIW, as the 10" and early 12" use the same bed, carriage, cross slide and compound swivel, the 12" compound is exactly 1" taller than the 10".

SpiralChips, where did you get that 3 slot table for your milling attachment? That looks much handier than the Atlas 2 bolt clamping system.

I am thinking about making a 3 slot milling table for my atlas milling attachment with an A-11 cross slide table. I will purchase a table and cut it in half to do that.

SpiralChips, where did you get that 3 slot table for your milling attachment? That looks much handier than the Atlas 2 bolt clamping system.

The two three-slot tables seen in those photos are parts of two separate accessories. One is a 5x7 tilting table like this, the other is a vertical table like this.

Neither will adapt directly to the cross-slide dove on the lathe saddle. As pictured both are mounted on the A11 slide.

Spiral_Chips

I really like that cross slide. One thing I really wish my lathe had was a full length cross slide like you have made. It seems to me that it would make the machine more rigid, allow us to run the gib a little looser yet still have lots of rigidity. I currently have a really nice almost fully restored 12x36 commercial... still restoring actually. I need a few more parts to finish up my quick change gearbox and I'm trying to find a headstock cover.... I literally have NEVER seen a Craftsman Commercial headstock cover on ebay lol. I see bench top models but not like mine with cabinet under drive....

Anyways I'm rambling... I'm too excited seeing your cross slide lol. So do you think it improved the rigidity of the machine?

I'll unfortunately confirm that neither have I. I have an extra cover for a bench model and some other parts but it's as though no one ever parted out a cabinet model.

I really like that cross slide. One thing I really wish my lathe had was a full length cross slide like you have made. It seems to me that it would make the machine more rigid, allow us to run the gib a little looser yet still have lots of rigidity. ........ So do you think it improved the rigidity of the machine?

No doubt it does. I have not used it with my QCTP yet, only used it to support work while using the headstock and spindle as an H-mill. It is certainly more rigid than the standard Atlas Milling attachment.

Spiral_Chips

Back