Nervous Night - Dixie & Morgan Fires

Here's a video of Highway 89 thru the park shot yesterday (8/19), traveling north to south. It begins a short distance below the summit. Lake Helen, with Lassen Peak behind it, appears at 1:30. It ends at the Sulphur Works, which is 1 mile above the visitor center. This area has been largely spared so far.

Are you in a crane truck or lift truck? Pretty country around there, been a long time since I have been in that area. Glad that you are alright, hope that they get a handle on this fire soon.
While insurance can replace items, it can't replace the memories and such. I pray that everyone is well. I heard that they arrested an x professor for arson in relation to the Dixie fire. In fact I have heard that people have been arrested in the case of all the major fires going on right now. I hope they punish them accordingly.

Are you in a crane truck or lift truck? Pretty country around there, been a long time since I have been in that area. Glad that you are alright, hope that they get a handle on this fire soon.
While insurance can replace items, it can't replace the memories and such. I pray that everyone is well. I heard that they arrested an x professor for arson in relation to the Dixie fire. In fact I have heard that people have been arrested in the case of all the major fires going on right now. I hope they punish them accordingly.
That is not my video, the entire park is closed. The author must have had special permission or is a member of one of the fire crews.
The Dixie fire was started by PG&E equipment, same as the Camp fire that burned Paradise. They did catch that former professor setting fires in the area of the Dixie fire, but it was already well established at the time. Most of the other fires in this end of the state were caused by lightning strikes.

We had a scare here just before the Dixie started threatening our area. Some fool in a nearby off-grid neighborhood was burning slash (!!!) and it got away from him. The neighbors had it under control by the time the fire department arrived, but we were already mobilizing.

Hangin's too good for 'em, burn 'em at the stake.

Last edited:
Glad he's safe, that's a tough MFn' job.

Back