Nervous Night - Dixie & Morgan Fires

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We've been on alert for a week now, packing the cars and trying to remember everything. Having 6 cars and plenty of warning makes it easier to take everything as long as I can get enough drivers. Thinking about loading my roll-away in the truck, need help with my top-box. Tools are heavy. The current situation is the fire is on the south side of Mt. Lassen. Yesterday the park set a backfire near the south entrance to protect the visitor center. Distance from the backfire is about 12 miles, 15 or so to the main fire. Red flag goes into effect this evening, so we get a Public Safety Power Shutoff until about 10 pm Thursday. Internet will likely go down, landlines may also. I'd put the generators in the truck but we're going to need them. Winds are forecast from the southwest, which is good for us but no so much for Susanville. Power shutoff couldn't happen at a worse time, the next couple of days are going to be very critical and we won't have access to the most current and reliable sources of info.

Pray for us.

The red arrow shows our location.

Dixie fire.jpg

The waiting must be most terrifying, I hope you 'll hear some good news soon and won't have to pack up and leave your home.

Yikes! Really must be terrifying. Stay safe.
Martin

Here's hoping the Gods are with you. Sounds like you've done all that you can. Mike

You have our thoughts and prayers.
Robert

My thoughts and prayers to you, your family and to everyone affected by this. The scope of this fire is terrifying.

Take care.

Craig,
Don't forget family pictures, Grandma's quilts and your important documents, files, policies, passports.
The rest can be replaced.
Fortunately you won't be stuck in gridlock while the world around you burns.
945 square miles so far and 36% contained.
I'll keep positive thoughts for you and yours.

Hey, I am curious what kind of buffer zone it would take to give your home some decent protection? Is this idea feasible or are the fires just too large? I have heard people recommend this.
Robert

The waiting must be most terrifying, I hope you 'll hear some good news soon and won't have to pack up and leave your home.
The positives today, the temperatures are in the 90's. It seems like it's been over one hundred for two months.
Plus, the wind shifted. I hope it pushes the fire back on itself.??

Hey, I am curious what kind of buffer zone it would take to give your home some decent protection? Is this idea feasible or are the fires just too large? I have heard people recommend this.
Robert
In these parts they say 100 feet.
The problem with big fires is you are on your own. There won't be a fire truck and a crew to save your home.
When we left our home for the last time, I locked the front door? Explosions were going off, homes on our street were fully engulfed.
100 feet wouldn't do a thing when the whole world is on fire. The blowing embers get sucked into your attic, dry leaves, pine needles on your roof burn.
OK, have to stop now.

Back