Nervous Night - Dixie & Morgan Fires

I have known a few forest fire hotshots, they have told me 100 feet or better, depending on the trees around you. The higher the trees the more you need. Even at 100 feet, a fire can be intense enough to ignite a structure under the right circumstances as the heat can be very intense even from that distance.

Then you also have the ambers which can drift long distances. I have friends that have rigged sprinklers on their roof that can pull water from either their well or their pool using the generator. But there is nothing fool proof.

Hey, I am curious what kind of buffer zone it would take to give your home some decent protection? Is this idea feasible or are the fires just too large? I have heard people recommend this.
Robert
They call it "defensible space" and how much depends on the fire and your property. Worst case (major, crowning conflagration) the radiant heat is so great that trees will literally explode at distances over 100 ft. The current recommendations are 2 zones, 30 ft. and 100 ft. around buildings.

I've been working on mine for several years now. Not easy when the lot is 100 ft. wide and neighboring lots are undeveloped.
Just found out about this stuff, too late for this one.

Damn scary. Too bad you can't get a 100 ft welding blanket! Best of luck.
Robert

I can't and don't realy want imagine what you are going through right now thinking that you might loose everything. My hopes and prayers are with you. Keep God with you and stay safe.

Michael.

My son is on a hotshot crew and spent the last two weeks on the Dixie fire. This morning they're headed to the Sequoia's, but it seems every time they head toward a fire, they get diverted at least once to another. I wish Mr. Whoopee and everyone living in the fire regions all the best. Very scary!

Based on the experiences of members on here it might seem prudent to take a lot of photos and videos of everything in your house that you can so that you have records for insurance purposes.

Agreed.
If there's time and all the important stuff is done, a slow walk through video of your house with slight pauses on all the valuables seems to be a good idea? (I remember in the early 90's when my insurance agent told me to borrow a camcorder and do that, then to bring the tape back to the agency office for storage.)
You could maybe open all your toolbox drawers etc?
Cloud backup would be great (like iPhone iCloud). Email/text it to friends or family otherwise just in case. Things happen to cellphones all the time in non-dangerous or stressful situations...

But most importantly, remember what's important. I've seen enough programming and testimony from survivors and the escape window came down to seconds for some... When it's time to leave please don't dawdle.

My thoughts are with you and all the others out there dealing with this!

Be safe, and best wishes.

Prayers sent.......Been choking on the smoke from all of the fires here in the Klamath basin

Back