Need to fix an eff up, can I fill a hole in cast iron with silicon bronze?

Stock came in. Made the bushings and some locating pins for the bushings. That way when I weld the bushings in place they won't be too far off. The slot is 1/4" because well that is the end mill that I have. The tap hole is 5mm for an M6. The pins are 1/4" in diameter for the slot part and 5mm to locate the bushings. The locating pins keep the screw hole in the center of the slot. Here is a picture of the plate with the bushings welded on, ready for drilling. Ignore those ugly cold tack welds! They will be gone in a while. Hope they hold up long enough to do the job. I was too lazy to switch wire spools from the sheet metal wire 0.023" to something more substantial.
PXL_20220908_211354008.jpg

I was too lazy to switch wire spools from the sheet metal wire 0.023" to something more substantial.
FWIW, I love .023 wire. We keep a spool in one of the machines at work and it gets used for almost everything thats 3/16 and under! The nice thing about the thinner wire is, you can turn the heat up and still take the time to make a nice weld.

What you're doing is the way to overcome this minor setback, looks great.

To get enough room for the drill and I, had to move the tool cabinet out of the way. Pulled the drawers and stacked them on the floor. Moved the cabinet. With good straight in body placement it was easy to drill out the new holes. They are the two inner holes on the bottom.
PXL_20220909_152014633.jpg
Got them tapped to M6. Next step is to remove the bushings from the motor plate. I'll try knocking them off first, but will have to machine the face to smooth things out.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas and suggestions to help me fix this goof up. Your suggestions were truly helpful. Thanks for being here HM!

Have to do something similar four more times to mount the encoder. It's up higher so things should be easier.

Back