Need To Duplicate A Part

My mistake, looked like a plastic part from the photos, yet an easy part to make, black anodizing?
I would gladly generate a cad drawing including every tool move and a how to do it if I had some actual dimensions to work with.

Gee, no big deal. Yes, it's black anodized aluminum.

Do you have access to a variable speed router? I would first band saw the piece as close as possible. May need to file. Be just outside of the line. Is it okay to drill a couple holes on the side so that you can clamp both pieces together and to a solid surface? They need to be clamped well. Put in a straight carbide bit with a bearing. The original piece will be a template and that is where the bearing touches. Adjust the speed and take small passes. Please wear eye protection.

Yes, I have a VS router, but frankly that scares me a bit, and I do want to try the rotary table which is new.

Thanks

Lay it out, cut as close as you dare to the line and use you rotary table to mill the arc. Do add a plate to be used as hold down base and to save the surface of your table. You are bound to have better bandsaw skills than I do that is why I said cut as close as you dare. Take your time and creep up to the finish dimension.

That is a nice project

If I wanted it to be the same as the other I'd use the router. It would be done before you could get the RT set up.

Sure there are simpler ways to make it, but I think the point/challenge here is in using machine tools to do the job. Lots of opportunity for learning.

If you are making several of these, I would set the RT up to run two at a time. Maybe a 4" wide by 14" or so long flat bar. Mount a piece to the bottom in the center to locate in the center of the RT. Drill holes to clamp and run them opposite each other. If nothing else having the two to measure in between helps insure the radius.

I did not know that your rt is a new toy. Well that changes everything. The lay out and setting will be more difficult, but you will have more fun. Go for it.

I did not know that your rt is a new toy. Well that changes everything. The lay out and setting will be more difficult, but you will have more fun. Go for it.

Agreed.
The RT just became an obligation.
You have no other options.

Daryl
MN

Agreed.
The RT just became an obligation.
You have no other options.

Daryl
MN

Daryl and all,

Many thanks for all of your help! I can see how this RT will come in very handy.

Happy and prosperous New Year to All

Frank

DSC08967-r1.jpg DSC08970-r1.jpg DSC08971-r1.jpg DSC08972-r1.jpg DSC08974-r1.jpg

Back