Need To Duplicate A Part

No way are you going to cut a 12.28 diameter (6.14R X 2) in a 9 inch swing lathe. You answered your own question, use the mill and an auxiliary plate for the rotary table.

"Billy G"

Do you have an RT big enough?
Attaching the jig plate is a great idea as long as you can still reach the RT crank handles.
Or, orient the plate so that the plate isn't centered on the RT so that it clears the handles.
Be sure the plate is thick enough so that you don't get flex in the jig

Daryl
MN

A most important piece of information beforehand would be what is the material? Asking advice about making a part in unknown material is a shot in the dark at best.
Piece of cake to make this in what appears to be a plastic, (one or very few that is) in a manual mill, surface finish requirements and dimensional stability may be tricky however.
The number of parts required will be a major factor in deciding on the process used. Material cost and availability may be the biggest concern with this part.

Looks like POM or Nylon with UV inhibitors, these materials are often black in color

The plate on the rotary table does not have to be round.It can be over 4" wide and long enough to bolt onto the rotary table. Just needs to be thick enough also to eliminate vibration and shaking when milling.

A most important piece of information beforehand would be what is the material? Asking advice about making a part in unknown material is a shot in the dark at best.
Piece of cake to make this in what appears to be a plastic, (one or very few that is) in a manual mill, surface finish requirements and dimensional stability may be tricky however.
The number of parts required will be a major factor in deciding on the process used. Material cost and availability may be the biggest concern with this part.

Looks like POM or Nylon with UV inhibitors, these materials are often black in color

It's aluminum - as stated in my post!

My mistake, looked like a plastic part from the photos, yet an easy part to make, black anodizing?
I would gladly generate a cad drawing including every tool move and a how to do it if I had some actual dimensions to work with.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a variable speed router? I would first band saw the piece as close as possible. May need to file. Be just outside of the line. Is it okay to drill a couple holes on the side so that you can clamp both pieces together and to a solid surface? They need to be clamped well. Put in a straight carbide bit with a bearing. The original piece will be a template and that is where the bearing touches. Adjust the speed and take small passes. Please wear eye protection.

Back