Need To Duplicate A Part

angelfj1

Active User
Registered
I have a very basic understanding of how to use a mill and lathe. I have milled parts with my Go704 and turned pieces on my ENCO 9" lathe. I want to duplicate this part and end up wit a good fit and finish. I'm not sure if I could use the lathe, but it seems that the mill would work. My mill is not CNC. I have an assortment of end mills, gauges and accessories, including a 6 inch rotary table. Could you pleas offer some suggestions for duplicating this part. Note, the location of the holes will be determined later. I have 3/4'' aluminum stock on hand. The most important specification is the radius because this part attaches to a cylinder with the same radius. Thanks in advance! Frankhandlebase.jpg

newby but what about a boring bar, first cut out as much as possible unneeded material with a bandsaw.

I think RJ nailed it above. A plate on your rotary table, extending past the radius you want to cut. clamp/bolt/secure the piece of aluminum so that the rotation of the table past the mill cutter will cut the 6.14 radius, expect to do it in several passes. Once it's done the slots can be cut however you like.

I am with the others on using the rotary table. The radius is too big for your 9" lathe, and a 6" long bar in the boring head sounds a bit scary.

A 12" radius cut using a boring bar probably isn't too smart. For safety and in reality, for a smaller machine you need quite a bit of torque to make a decent cut that far from the spindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
newby but what about a boring bar, first cut out as much as possible unneeded material with a bandsaw.

Ed, assuming those measurements are in inches, that would be an impossibly(?) large boring head for the Grizzly mill.

Back