Need help with Ebay buyer having issues with a lathe chuck

Winegrower, we don't know if they were low quality. HM is lowering the quality. It may have been high res, and fully transparent.
We can't tell from our stored image.

I think the resolution is more than fair. I agree, that 30 would be appropriate too.

Winegrower, we don't know if they were low quality. HM is lowering the quality. It may have been high res, and fully transparent.
We can't tell from our stored image.

I think the resolution is more than fair. I agree, that 30 would be appropriate too.
In general (not specific here) I see a lot of eBay listings that are "here is this thing I won't tell you anything about, but I took a handful of poorly lit pictures, so anything you don't notice is on you!"

These annoy me, I definitely prefer when someone makes SOME attempt to list what they notice as wrong (even if they say they don't know enough to know everything).

That said, even with GOOD pictures, I don't think I would have noticed that damage without better lit pictures or handling it.

I guess in summary, the idea of "well the picture technically contained the problem" is a particularly unfair attitude.

IMO the fact that we took 20 posts to figure out what the problem was from the picture makes me not blame the buyer at all. If I'd seen that picture I wouldn't think twice, but I presume it is obvious in person that something was broken. I also note that you didn't notice enough to put it in the listing, so expecting him to notice from just pictures is unfair.

I suspect his behavior is mostly just him blaming himself("buyer beware", this seller is the kind to not inspect his products). So between that and getting it cheap, he doesn't feel too put out.

$15 is, IMO incredibly generous of the guy. If I was the seller, I'd probably want to give him a bigger refund than that to clear my concience. Id be tempted to give him the purchase price minus the shipping (or whatever), but the $30 is probably at least close to "fair".
I completely agree. When a seller posts low quality pictures, then argues that the buyer should have seen that, that’s just poor form.
I respectfully disagree with this. The pictures I posted were fine. I didn't mention anything about the rough area in the listing because to me there was nothing to mention. When you are buying used parts on Ebay or anywhere else, it's up to you to look carefully and not expect perfection and email with any questions. I think this is a case of buyer's remorse. He has a perfect rating on over 1000 reviews, but that's not hard to do when you extort refunds out of people after they leave you feedback. His timing on contacting me, suggesting a reduced amount and changing what he wanted are all red flags to me.

Last edited:
Here is my correspondence with Cushman so far(read from the bottom up). No response to my last question yet:
-So there wasn’t some sort of threaded sleeve or other component in there that broke off? Does this chuck look like it’s perfectly functional then?

-looks like wear issue

-Thanks. Is the rough area indicated by the red arrows and circle just a rough area, or indicative of something that is broken?

-your correct that is for bolt on , not screw on

-We just spoke on the phone. I’ve attached images of the chuck. One shows the model info and the others show a view from the back. The buyer is telling me that it looks like the casting is broken. Can you let me know if you know anything about this chuck?
I’ve included an image with an arrow and a circle for the area I’m talking about.

I think the guy is straight up. I guess he could be running some racket where he gets 15 dollars back on ten items a day, and then somehow uses that to buy more stuff for more discounts...but sometimes it really is just as simple as it looks. The guy bought something he wasn't happy with for a reason that at least half of us see. He didn't ask for a refund. He sent you pictures. And he discounted your offered discount. Looks like a good day for everyone from here.

I think the guy is straight up. I guess he could be running some racket where he gets 15 dollars back on ten items a day, and then somehow uses that to buy more stuff for more discounts...but sometimes it really is just as simple as it looks. The guy bought something he wasn't happy with for a reason that at least half of us see. He didn't ask for a refund. He sent you pictures. And he discounted your offered discount. Looks like a good day for everyone from here.
I'd like to think he's honest. I will just refund the money and be done with all this. I'm sorry it took so many posts and so much time.

I'd also like to point out that no one here seems to really know for sure if the chuck is broken, or if it normally looks that way. We are all just guessing. Does anyone have this exact chuck to compare? When we see that, we'll know the truth. I've looked and haven't been able to find this chuck.

Last edited:
In the OP, the buyer himself says he should have seen it in the picture posted on ebay. But, apparently he didn’t see anything that he felt was notably wrong until he laid eyeballs on it. Actually, the picture of that portion of the chuck that seems to be the problem is not the best in the world for detail, as witnessed by comments in this thread. You offered $30, he’s happy with $15. I think he is trying to respond to your good faith offer with one of his own. Refund him $15 and move on. Just MHO. It’s not my money.

Tom

Back