Need help with Ebay buyer having issues with a lathe chuck

Even considering the debated damage I don't see there being a safety issue. Rather I would be concerned with play in the jaws and accuracy. I would be more inclined to insist on return and refund rather than a discount. I would also prefer a direct phone conversation with the buyer about it because messages can easily be misinterpreted, for example your comment about deception.
actually, it needs to be documented in writing. there's no proof of anything on a phone call.

I sold 2 boring and facing heads on Ebay a couple years back . On both of them , after recieving positive feedback , I got messages from the buyers that they didn't work . This was a couple months after they were sold . I responded back to them stating they worked perfectly , and they just did not know how to use them . Never heard back from them so I guess they learned how to use them properly . Most people these days don't leave ANY feedback , which pizzes me off . It doesn't help a good seller if the positive feedback is not left .

Just tell the buyer you'd rather give him a discount now rather than later, and ask him to give you a number.
Then you can put it behind you
-M

UPDATE

My reply, after waiting a day or so:

I didn't mean to imply that you were deceived, just that I want to make sure buyers know what they are getting and so I try to show the item and all it's flaws. I have no desire to rip anyone off in any way. I'm just selling some extra stuff that I want to go to a good home and be used and enjoyed. I want people to know exactly what they are getting so they can make an informed choice.

I would like to conclude this with one of two options:
1. Give you a refund and have you ship the chuck back. I'll include the shipping in the refund amount.
2. Give you a partial refund, say $30, and be done.

Let me know what you'd like to do. Thanks!

His response, which I received immediately after sending my response:
I try to do the same with my listing and sales also. I don’t like returning items for no other reason than that the only one winning is USPS or FedEx. I figure the jaws are salable, so is wrench socket and rack. Just credit me $15 and we both will come out of this fine. Happy New Year!

My thoughts:
I called Cushman and asked about this chuck. They told me it was 70 to 80 years old and they no longer make them or have any info or prints on them. I emailed him pictures so he can see what I was trying to describe.
I think I'll refund the $15 (after getting positive feedback) and be done, but first I want to hear back from Cushman.

It bothers me that this all happened because I gave him a significant discount for buying 3 chucks. If I were him, I would just eat the cost, since I believe it's his fault for not looking carefully and knowing what he was buying. The pictures were very clear. I find it interesting that he actually reduced my suggested refund amount. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but something about all this stinks.
Finally, this all seems like a lot of trouble for $15.

That's cheap enough.. give him his $15..
I think you are getting a good deal with just $15. I agree with you, but just make it go away.
At this point I agree, just make it go away for $15.

IMO the fact that we took 20 posts to figure out what the problem was from the picture makes me not blame the buyer at all. If I'd seen that picture I wouldn't think twice, but I presume it is obvious in person that something was broken. I also note that you didn't notice enough to put it in the listing, so expecting him to notice from just pictures is unfair.

I suspect his behavior is mostly just him blaming himself("buyer beware", this seller is the kind to not inspect his products). So between that and getting it cheap, he doesn't feel too put out.

$15 is, IMO incredibly generous of the guy. If I was the seller, I'd probably want to give him a bigger refund than that to clear my concience. Id be tempted to give him the purchase price minus the shipping (or whatever), but the $30 is probably at least close to "fair".

IMO the fact that we took 20 posts to figure out what the problem was from the picture makes me not blame the buyer at all. If I'd seen that picture I wouldn't think twice, but I presume it is obvious in person that something was broken. I also note that you didn't notice enough to put it in the listing, so expecting him to notice from just pictures is unfair.

I suspect his behavior is mostly just him blaming himself("buyer beware", this seller is the kind to not inspect his products). So between that and getting it cheap, he doesn't feel too put out.

$15 is, IMO incredibly generous of the guy. If I was the seller, I'd probably want to give him a bigger refund than that to clear my concience. Id be tempted to give him the purchase price minus the shipping (or whatever), but the $30 is probably at least close to "fair".
I completely agree. When a seller posts low quality pictures, then argues that the buyer should have seen that, that’s just poor form.

Back