Need help with Ebay buyer having issues with a lathe chuck

The inner snout of that chuck is broken off. You shouldn’t see a “layered” cake Down the center hole of chuck. You can see the front piece the scroll and the back piece. A Cushman chuck is a quality chuck and would not have that ruff casting which does not make sense. Almost every surface is machined on a chuck but there is a really ruff ring around the whole center of it.
what size chuck 6” ??

Gotta question, is that a low profile chuck?

It doesn't seem nearly as deep as my chuck (without it's backplate). The pic on the plaid looks very shallow..
The other pics don't look that deep either.
I don't know.

The inner snout of that chuck is broken off. You shouldn’t see a “layered” cake Down the center hole of chuck. You can see the front piece the scroll and the back piece. A Cushman chuck is a quality chuck and would not have that ruff casting which does not make sense. Almost every surface is machined on a chuck but there is a really ruff ring around the whole center of it.
what size chuck 6” ??
Seems to me that the buyer should have looked more carefully and also done more research into what he wanted and what this was. He might have actually noticed that the inner sleeve/snout is gone and alerted me, if, in fact, that is the case. It just looked to me like a rough casting. I didn't think there was a reason to machine this surface, so it didn't occur to me to even give it a thought. You all seem to be able to see the flaws, so thanks for pointing this out; that's why I posted it. I thought you all might see something I missed.

It's suspicious to me that he originally wanted some money back and now he just wants a deal on future items, and that he messaged me right after I left positive feedback.

I'm happy to work with people who have legit complaints, but this smells funny to me. He got this really cheap, too.

I do quite a bit of buying and selling on eBay. My recommendation is to negotiate with the buyer some kind of settlement that leaves him feeling good enough not to give you a negative feedback. eBay is always on the side of the buyer in disputes. Yes, maybe he should have done more research, but then again, maybe you should have also and been more clear in the condition description. You are in a grey zone here, and maybe the buyer is not acting in good faith, but it all comes down to how much you value your reputation and credibility on eBay. If it were me, I'd refund the money since it's such a small amount, and move on.

Well... Seems like you're going to have to make an offer with a dollar amount. Afaik, the jaws are useless if not attached to the chuck they belong to. It's super hard to guess how things are meant in text form. That guy I told you I blocked: I followed all Ebay rules, and offered a full refund of purchase price. But he still felt like I was taking him for a ride. I went so far as to email five of his previous buyers and ask if they had problems with him. Two out of five said he'd asked them for a post purchase discount due to some minor defect he'd discovered. It was a long couple of weeks. I stopped selling for a couple years altogether. Anyways all that just to let you know that I've been there. It doesn't do you any good to dwell on it. Settle it fast, and move on faster. It'll just eat at you if you keep on with it.

Give the buyer half or a little more off or offer to pay to have it shipped back and give him a refund. A similar thing happened to me with a chuck and I was willing to keep the damaged one for parts as I thought the damaged chuck could be used for parts for my other Bison. Buyer may have a lead on another Cushman and willing to keep the chuck as a spare. Seems to me that both sides are being fair here. I can see how each side might miss the damage inside the hole. Dave

Offer a full refund and a shipping label for him to send it back.

Then if he wants something else he will know you are a straight shooter and may be very reasonable.

We each can only be responsible for our own integrity and as someone else pointed out it’s best to get this behind you.

It’s the cost of doing business on eBay that sometimes things go sideways.

$75 isn’t much.

John

^ that's what I'd do. Something happened to that chuck in its past. Sucks that you didn't pick up on it and describe it more fully in the listing, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. I try to describe every wart and ding I can find on my items. Even if it means losing several sales, at least when someone does buy it they're doing so with their eyes open.

Even considering the debated damage I don't see there being a safety issue. Rather I would be concerned with play in the jaws and accuracy. I would be more inclined to insist on return and refund rather than a discount. I would also prefer a direct phone conversation with the buyer about it because messages can easily be misinterpreted, for example your comment about deception.

The only way I would be offering any refund is if he agrees to ship the item back. If he has already parted it out and wants a refund that is his loss, buyers do not get refunds and keep the item.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Back