Need an inexpensive keyless chuck.

The collar on the Albrecht chucks is important to get a keyless chuck tight. I have 2 Glacern's and with out the collar it is hard to get them tight. They do give you a wrench but the point of keyless to make it quick and easy to change bits. I just got an Albrecht like the one above with the R8 shank for $93 shipped off ebay. Can't wait to try it out.

Good point. I first bought a Glacern integral R8 chuck when I got my mill. Being a benchtop mill I was worried about loss of Z travel since the Glacern integral is shorter without the collar. I got by by just putting it in low gear but not too long down the road I realized I'd rather have the collar & for what I do I have never came close to running out of Z.

Got me a Glacern with the collar & man is it so much better not having to reach up for the drawbar when I needed the extra grip. In fact I now use the collar all the time now.

I keep missing out on Albrechts, perhaps I'm too picky as well. Hopefully one day I will score me a nice one but for now the Glacern has been serving me well.

Will
Like you I did I just ordered a Glacern integral R8 chuck for my mill. Can you explain (or a picture would be great) the Glacern with a collar? It appeared to me that they only offer integral shank?

Still trying to get a handle on all this tool holding stuff. The different options can be a bit overwhelming.

I'll be selling my Glacern after the Albrecht checks out ok. Anyone interested and PM me.

Ok, let me go dig out the Glacern with integral shank out & snap a pic. BRB

I made one and it was very easy just take your time watch the vid and go for it.Mine made a world of difference .

Will
Like you I did I just ordered a Glacern integral R8 chuck for my mill. Can you explain (or a picture would be great) the Glacern with a collar? g.
Maybe Will can come up with a picture of the Glacern keyless chuck with collar cause I can't find any on their site,just checked , found only integral type , could be that's all they carry now.:confused:

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Looks like you could make a simple knurled collar for the Glacern chuck that lacks one. Bore the ID to the same size as the OD where it sits, drill, countersink and tap for a locking screw, knurl the OD and then slit the side. This is just how an Albrecht collar is made and its only about 1/4" thick.

I understand now and I see the JT shank chucks on their site now. Thanks!

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Oh, I think I see now. Too bad ...

Back