Need an inexpensive keyless chuck.

I saw that one when I cruised ebay - looks okay. If you consider that you got the chuck AND the arbor for that price, you did good! I highly suggest you remove the arbor and recondition the chuck before you use it. They are not difficult to work on. If you need more details, I wrote it up here: http://www.machinistblog.com/rebuilding-an-albrecht-drill-chuck/

Terry, I looked at their ( Glacern's) prices, not bad at all, I'm still shopping around .
Mikey, since I posted this thread I've been looking around on the net for a good quality chuck and the name Albrecht keeps popping up , but as you and terry both mentioned, there are a lot of garbage ones mixed with a few good ones, I almost bid on a used one for $53 but stopped myself at the last minute, it looked too worn out although all I had to go on was the picture . the best ones on ebay are the new old stocks.

What are your opinions on this Taiwanese chuck under the name "Precision Mathews" ? they seem to build all sorts of metalworking tools , I found this on ebay .ca and it looked promising, comes with integral R8 shank and the runout is ~.002", not bad for what I'm looking for.
View attachment 225717

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/232231595178

Thank you both for your thoughts.

I just received that very chuck. I have drilled about a dozen holes with it. So far, its just fine. Smooth operation and the quality seems good. If you don't like it, Im sure Matt will make it right. BTW, I used it to drill 5/8" holes in 3/8" plate.....no slippage at all and only hand tightened, no spanner used.

Edit, I just saw that you already purchased an Albrecht......

Ironman, that PM chuck seems to be well made, it's brand new,seems to get a lot of praises on the net and should serve you well for many years to come, at least you didn't base your decision on a couple of pictures ,that's the trouble when buying used, a seemingly perfect chuck may have many hidden problems just waiting to be discovered,the truth is (when buying used) you'll never know for sure what you got until it's in your hands so you can check it out.

Mikey thanks for the link,for some reason I can't open it , it probably is just a glitch since the recent upgrade, there are also a few good youtube videos on the same subject(how to recondition an Albrecht chuck),which are already bookmarked , I'll be ready to take it all apart and grease/lube it,.I may need your assistance if I get stock, I hope I don't need to replace the 25(or 26) little balls in the chuck but we'll see .

Hi Guys,

I tried to post yesterday, but I see it did not "take" maybe due to the website outage? (or maybe my ramblings caused it:dejected:).

I realize Ken has already bought a used Albrecht, but I thought I'd re-post to perhaps get some opinions of this brand.....

Quality Machine Shop on ebay carries the Accusize brand of keyless chucks.
I have never bought from them, but have some of their AXA toolholders on my ebay "watch list".
Being in Canada they have reasonable shipping to Canada, and free shipping over a certain amount.
Here's is a 3/8"
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/0-3-8-2JT-Pr...Chuck-Accuracy-0-0048-0222-0872-/151697393245
Here is a 1/2":
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-32-1-2-33J...Chuck-Accuracy-0-0048-0222-0878-/151665392297
I am sure they are also made in China.
Those pages above do specify an accuracy inline with Shars ones in the original post.
Prices are not terrible, but you'd still need to buy a Jacobs to R8 arbor though.

Anybody tried Accusize?

-brino

brino, I don't know about their chuck quality but I have other Accusize tools and they seem to be alright for imported tools, the little research I recently did to find out more about keyless chucks lead me to believe(when shopping for keyless chucks) we would be better off separating them in two different categories, one is the imported type, one is the well made European/US ones like Rohm ,Albrecht (Germany), LFA(made in France),Jacobs and so on.
The imported ones also have a couple of well regarded brands, that Precision Mathews is Taiwanese ,I don't know where Accusize brand is imported from but in my humble opinion they are in the same category as the MP and much better than the run of the mill chucks found cheap on ebay for $30 ro so.
I also found out one of the reasons the Albrecht type chucks (and also the few imported ones)are so popular is they they lock onto tools , it seems to me you can tighten them 99.9% of time and walk away with confidence that they won't loosen up during a cutting/drilling operation and they reliably do so for many years.
Just a few points to consider, If you do go with the accusize chuck, you can get the R8 Arbor from Amazon.ca,itis also the same Accusize brand:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011W2OHCQ...UTF8&colid=U1FASJ1VAXTT&coliid=I185UU0WNMYR6R
There's also another machine shop/metalworking supplier that has all their prices in Canadian Dollar ,they have good quality and good prices,here's the link:
http://www.traverscanada.com/

Last edited:
Seems like my post got dropped yesterday as well. I have 3 Albrecht chucks that were new and have never had a problem with them. If I didn't quite get it tight by hand it will self tighten as soon as it gets a load. Always can release them with simple hand twist. One thing to consider is that these chucks can't be used in reverse if that is an issue, such as left handed drill bits.

David

another thing to keep in mind is NOT to use drills or other tools with flats on the shank,for light drilling in wood u might get away with that but in steel, you will need a pipe wrench to open the chuck.

I picked up an Accusize keyed chuck 3/4" the other day. Seems pretty decent, and price was right off Amazon.ca with the free shipping. Want to get a smaller chuck too, as this won't hold anything smaller than 3/16". Gotta fill up that turret somehow!

The collar on the Albrecht chucks is important to get a keyless chuck tight. I have 2 Glacern's and with out the collar it is hard to get them tight. They do give you a wrench but the point of keyless to make it quick and easy to change bits. I just got an Albrecht like the one above with the R8 shank for $93 shipped off ebay. Can't wait to try it out.

Back