Need a small or bench top band saw.

What he is needing is a saw to cut stock up to two inches. Veritcal bandsaw is the way to go because you set it to run and it cuts while you are doing something else. Horizontal you stand there and push on the two inch stock steel until it cuts and hopefully you push it straight.
really I think you have it backwards.
vertical is up and down
horizontal is like the horizon.

He needs small, at least that's what he said initially.

I find for my needs that the porta band is fast enough. I also have a small powered hack saw.. but the portaband is much faster.

What he is needing is a saw to cut stock up to two inches. Veritcal bandsaw is the way to go because you set it to run and it cuts while you are doing something else. Horizontal you stand there and push on the two inch stock steel until it cuts and hopefully you push it straight.
Do you have your vertical and horizontal switched?

What I like about the 14” vert is the cast iron table with a guide slot for a mitre gauge. That’s where my air powered sled goes so not only can it do really small stock, it can auto feed and is fairly accurate.

I'm not familiar with this??
It’s about halfway down the page……

It’s about halfway down the page……

That is really cool. Well designed out... nice

That is really cool. Well designed out... nice
Thanks, handy as a shirt pocket. It was all dictated by the junk I had. It is my most used machine tool. I don’t always hook up the air unless it’s a big piece and will take a while. Otherwise the air valve is open and the sled moves freely.

What I like about the 14” vert is the cast iron table with a guide slot for a mitre gauge. That’s where my air powered sled goes so not only can it do really small stock, it can auto feed and is fairly accurate.
for some reason I can't look at that post under my login, it logs me out. So I can't reply directly to that thread.
I have a question about that... actually your sled...
How does this hold down without jack supports at the rear. ??? are you relying soley on the nut under the clamp? is that enough leverage?

Attachments

• FCAC4C16-B852-4208-81B9-DA0109ADF80C.jpeg
    FCAC4C16-B852-4208-81B9-DA0109ADF80C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • A5E47980-B475-461A-B705-0DEB88197FB3 (1).jpeg
    A5E47980-B475-461A-B705-0DEB88197FB3 (1).jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
??? are you relying soley on the nut under the clamp? is that enough leverage?
Yup, more than enough if set correctly. At first I thought I’d have to come up with a special nut for it to have enough leverage but it’s not necessary.

Here is a similar approach to what Jeff did...

Many ideas if you search YouTube for it...

I have been looking at doing something similar... As normal for me, I was going for a more complicated solution until I saw some of the ideas here and started looking for more ways to do the same...

This is what I was thinking of doing initially... I have an old Harbor Freight (sticky plastics and all) that my father-in-law bought many, many moons ago...

But looking at some of the ideas shared... I think I will go with a much simpler approach...

Back