Need a small or bench top band saw.

I bought a milwaukee porta band on ebay years ago. A few minutes in the shop and I had a stand. The only things I changed were the table got turned around so I didn't have to remove it to change the blade, and I added an adjustable trigger so I could change the speed.
I made mine from wood... not hard, some light chisel work.
I gotta say these are great little saws. At a garage sale 2 years ago I picked up a vertical band saw, but it's been a basket case that I started working on, and have paused for now. The aluminum casting was cracked in multiple places. One was the trunion... I have to figure out how I am going to remake the dovetail curved trunion... that is attached to the main casting....(not removeable)....

always thought these were an awful lot of money to a sheet metal bench that needs to sit on a bench anyway...
Can get it with a foot switch, which as i undersatnd doesnt have the in series capacitor that the OEM trigger switches have, forget if its a arc arestor or inrush cap, but at that price you should be getting alot better IMHO.
Ya at 350$ all in, i might rather have a cold cut saw...

hmmm. you could make your own... so many have.. it is a lot of money, which is why I went cheap.... I have never regretted it. I am often impressed with how quick it cuts, especially if I use a coarse blade.

I like what guys have done to make it a horizontal miter saw.

I also have the Swag table and a Milwaukee Porta Band, it works nice but like others have said it would be easy enough to make a custom unit. The saw itself works wonders, very handy.

I got an almost-new Makita portable bandsaw off CL and the Swag Off-road table with a foot switch direct from the company. The table is 1/4" thick metal and built really well. I thought it was a bit much, but it was cheaper than a bandsaw and doesn't take up much room. I use mine all the time and have not regretted spending the money.

I like my HF 4x6" saw. But if space is a consideration, get a portable band saw and a SWAG off road table for it.

What he is needing is a saw to cut stock up to two inches. Veritcal bandsaw is the way to go because you set it to run and it cuts while you are doing something else. Horizontal you stand there and push on the two inch stock steel until it cuts and hopefully you push it straight.

Back