VN My Vn & Parts Drawings And Manual

Daryl,

The rotary switch is on the top of the main electrical box, there is a on/off switch on the door on front of the box and the side of the mill and a emergency stop only on the front.
The right side of the switch is a mirror of the left, just for forward motion. I don't have a coolant pump, so the usefulness is diminished. But there are times when I want to use the feeds with the spindle turned off.

Last edited:
That explains why I haven't found the switch.
The original box is gone.
I hope the PF are in there!

Oh, well nothing like a project to force me to grow.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

The rotary switch is on the top of the main electrical box, there is a on/off switch on the door on front of the box and the side of the mill and a emergency stop only on the front.
The right side of the switch is a mirror of the left, just for forward motion. I don't have a coolant pump, so the usefulness is diminished. But there are times when I want to use the feeds with the spindle turned off.

I guess I'm past the edit time limit; I meant to say, there are times when I want to use the feeds with the spindle turned off but the switch is not wired that way.

To more fully answer your question
SFC, spindle, feed and coolant on
SF, spindle and feed
SC, spindle and coolant
S, spindle only

After the emergency stop switch is activated the mill will not come back on unless the EMS is pulled back out and the only on switch to operate is the one on the main panel box.

Like Cal and others have posted, there are many different ways these mills were wired. Looking at my panel box, that is something that looks out of my depth. (let me know if anyone wants a photo)

EMS? Emergency Medical Services? Where'd you get my phone number (911)? Truth is I don't want to go to anyones' shop again.....

I opened the column in the VN22 today. There is a motor in there, no wires, but there is a motor, and it's mechanically connected. Did I mention I have a winter project?

Thank you for the clarification on the switch. It's a great suggestion on how I might wire the VN22. I've got two very large boxes of ancient mills which I've been tripping over. I guess one of them will end up on my VN22. Between the two I should be able to conjure up settings similar to your switch. However, I appreciate your comment on PF only, and will make that happen!

Nels, Cal, Reeltor, others, please anticipate that about August I'll be pestering all of you.

As I was looking for a serial number plate (never found it), in an effort to date the machine, I wondered what the original color was. Looks like a light shade of green. Maybe... Does anyone know if there was a factory color?

Sorry if I have redirected your thread.

Daryl
MN

Well crap, can't type, or read what I type. need to manually reset the emergency stop switch
I think the green on the gear box that goes with my dividing head is the original color. Here is a photo from when I just got the mill home (don't mind the grease) and needed help in identifying everything. I think it is the same color that is on the dividing head, I'll check and let you know.

Copy of Van Norman 22L 018.JPG

The gearbox cover is so cool!
However, it's the gears inside and their relative position which are critical to fabricating the gearbox.

I spent some time with my VN22LU today.
The ways and tails on visual inspection appear clean, alot of grease and dirt to clear. No rust!
Then I can take some measurements and determine if she will need scraping or just cleaning, painting, lube, and electrical.

Daryl
MN

View attachment 105703 View attachment 105702 Here is a photo of the rotary switch that is on my 22L.
I tried running it in reverse once or twice, until I remembered that the draw bar unscrews :rolleyes:

I found the schematic for the 22l if it is any help.
Mike,

I know that controller very well. A late model VN12 that I worked on had the exact same panel. The owner tried to pull the knob off and destroyed the Bakelite switch stack, so be careful with yours. We were able to get another switch of the same series and rebuild his; fortunately the cams in his survived. It's a very interesting switch and can be used to do all sorts of things by changing the cams in the switch stack.

Daryl,

The knob that's on the machine that I worked with, using the same wiring diagram, etc., as Mike's, was on the top of a box on the left side of the column. But as I said, there is no "standard" Van Norman wiring setup; they used all sorts of stuff. In Mike's case, it was an off the shelf controller that they just wired up to the machine.

Cal

So....
A single manual starter with a single on/off switch controlling everything might be original?

Daryl
MN

So....
A single manual starter with a single on/off switch controlling everything might be original?

Daryl
MN
There should also be a drum switch that selects what runs when the start button is pressed.

Cal

Back