VN My Vn & Parts Drawings And Manual

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
My VN # 12 is still in pieces in my tiny shop.

We have been finishing the cellar, and things have gone slower than I hoped. The stairway, railings, high hats, took a lot longer...

Anyways, I need to clean up the shop. Then I can reassemble it- it's a big machine (in my shop).

I have extra parts for a second VN 12 I bought. Let me know if you need anything. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

Remember, I have manuals and wiring diagrams for the #12 in the downloads area. When I get a chance, I will attach them or make a VN library in this forum (I can do that with this new software),

I have a VN6. She works well! Truly the toolroom mill I wanted.
If you are suggesting that you have extra accessories please let me know!

Daryl
MN

At this point, I need to clean up and see what's there.

I have extra parts for the #12. I have an original wiring box for it. I need a dividing head tailstock.

I have to get things going this summer, or give it up.

Don't even think of giving up, Nelson....you're in way too deep now. :)

This tailstock appeared on Ebay today. I don't know the seller and haven't seen the item.
Tailstock for Milling Index Head Rotary Table - Van Norman Machine Co (embedded link).

Daryl
MN

Tony,

I assembled the column (I had it in two sections, base and column), and added the gearbox.I had flushed out the gearbox with mineral spirits.
The base is drilled out for allthread bolts which I attached to some Zambus casters, so the whole thing can move or be lowered. (I over-drilled one hole so may need to bush it.)

I still have to add the knee assembly, table, and head. And of course, the motors (one on top one on for the table feed).
I never got clear on how to hook up both motors so that the 1/4 hp feed motor only runs when the spindle is moving.
(Some people have hooked up 2 VFDs, one for each motor and wired them cleverly so that the feed motor only runs when the cutter spindle is moving).

I need to clean a lot of crap out of the small shop area that got shoved in there when we worked on the basement.
When you finish your cellar, you lose a ton of storage. The wife decided my tiny shop area was the catch-all for all the stuff. (Aaargh!!):bang head:

As far as the feed motor only running with the spindle, I disagree with that approach, especially if you intend on using the feeds in a rapid travel mode. The Zayer #3 I have uses 2 motors, and it is set up to have the feed motor run any time the main switch is on, and a separate switch for the spindle. This allows for positioning the table with out running the spindle, which I consider much safer. Of course this also means I can run the table (part, vise, etc.) into the tool while it is not running. But such is the case with the Bridgeport setup as well, except the quill feed. Table feeds are separate and run regardless of spindle powered on or off.
Of course, that choice is yours and I'm sure we can help you figure out the override methods if you go with 2 VFD's. I do like the idea of a VFD on the feed motor, actually even better than on the spindle motor.

That was my fear, that I would run the table into the tool. But being able to position the table is nice.
I don't mind having to buy a second VFD for the small motor.

What some people do is to put a 110 outlet on the column and just plug the feed motor in when it is needed. But I don't like that idea as much.

In about 50 years of machining I have run only one machine wherein the feed was interlocked with the spindle, and that was a gear drive setup on a horizontal. So far I have not run the work into the tool on a manual machine with power feed. Now CNC is a different animal, I have learned to make an air cut prior to doing an actual cut just to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes.

I think it would be much more convenient to separate the spindle and table feed.

There does not appear to be a "standard" wiring diagram for the smaller Van Norman mills. In fact, I seem to recall that you could buy them un-wired and do it yourself. Every one that I've seen has been different.

All of the Van Norman machines that I know of were wired with a rotary switch of some sort that controls what runs when the start button is pushed. You can select spindle plus optional feed and/or coolant. I haven't seen one, at least in the No. 12 size, that was wired so that the feed would run without the spindle. The feeds is pretty slow an a No. 12 and there is no rapid, so using it for table positioning isn't much use; much easier to just grab the handle and crank to where you want to be.

Cal

Back