My VFD is having a stroke? (PM1440GT)

It might be just being ultra sensitive to everything right now, and having the backsplash removed... but the new motor is a little less smooth and more noisy than the old one... Saturday I'll put the OG motor back on and see how she works.

You can try to increase your minimum Hz a little.

This?
1657302317878.png

You should be able to run in sensorless vector which uses feedback from the motor poles to optimize performance. If it operates in constant torque (V/Hz) w/o sensorless vector then you loose performance below 30 Hz and also at the higher Hz. The stock motor stutters on acceleration, this is a known issue with the 1440GT motor, it is decreased by shortening the acceleration to 2-3 seconds and setting the acceleration to linear as opposed to S curve. A usable speed range for the motor is 20-100 Hz. This all doesn't explain why the motor was previously fine and then you started having the motor issues.

You should be able to run in sensorless vector which uses feedback from the motor poles to optimize performance. If it operates in constant torque (V/Hz) w/o sensorless vector then you loose performance below 30 Hz and also at the higher Hz. The stock motor stutters on acceleration, this is a known issue with the 1440GT motor, it is decreased by shortening the acceleration to 2-3 seconds and setting the acceleration to linear as opposed to S curve. A usable speed range for the motor is 20-100 Hz. This all doesn't explain why the motor was previously fine and then you started having the motor issues.

Makes sense. I will continue to fiddle with it. The type of work I do, I'm usually in the 50-80hz range. The only time I've really deviated from 60hz is when using a carbide chamber reamer and "tuning" the chatter out.

Update for posterity - I called Drives Warehouse to see about a warranty replacement.
Their support/sales line was great. Someone picked up immediately and knew everything about this inverter, settings, etc. Based on what I told him
he said it does sound like VFD lost an output or one of the IGBT's isn't working correctly. He also said there is an IGBT test that can be run, but since it was out of the cabinet already, no need to.

Long story short... if you're having trouble and purchased from these guys, dont hesitate to call!

Also, I'm using a 5k pot as described in the PDF floating around here (PM1440GT Basic Wiring Changes for using the Contactors to switch the VFD inputs 23 DEC 2018.pdf)
Engineer said I should be using a 2k pot.

1657565982371.png

Last edited:
Back