My tail stock is too short.....

Here's a thread of someone completely overhauling their H10 tail stock. One of the extra things he did was to increase the quill travel. The techniques he used could easily be translated to other size/manufacturer lathes.

My tail stock is too short.....​

In what way ???
I have a PM1236 and the tail stock has 3" of movement, with the DRO scale on the back of the cross slide that is 1.25" and the tool push out eats another 1"+/- I would really like 5 or 6" of useful movement and I would like to accomplish that without increasing the tail stock foot print on the top of my ways which means I would be cantilevering a few inches off the tail stock side of the lathe which isn't an issue for me.

Here's a thread of someone completely overhauling their H10 tail stock. One of the extra things he did was to increase the quill travel. The techniques he used could easily be translated to other size/manufacturer lathes.
I like the idea but it would require sacrificing some of the ways real-estate for the larger tail stock foot print.

If you happen to have a tailstock with a locking lever rather than a nut/wrench, it's possible to move the tailstock by hand in and out of position, locking and unlocking quickly while resetting the tailstock quill position. This allows a lot of tailstock travel, say in drilling a deep hole with a long drill. This also allows quick extraction of a tool, as opposed to cranking it back out. I suppose it could be done with a nut/wrench, but way more cumbersome.

If you happen to have a tailstock with a locking lever rather than a nut/wrench, it's possible to move the tailstock by hand in and out of position, locking and unlocking quickly while resetting the tailstock quill position. This allows a lot of tailstock travel, say in drilling a deep hole with a long drill. This also allows quick extraction of a tool, as opposed to cranking it back out. I suppose it could be done with a nut/wrench, but way more cumbersome.
I have heard that it isn't the length but how you use it; but, My issue is that I can move it to bump the carriage and it still doesn't have enough length for every thing I need/want to use it for. part of the issue is the DRO scale thickness and part is it is just to short.

I'm pretty sure that was the guy that started the extended SB tailstock trend. I seem to remember him making kits for people to do the upgrade but stopped after a while, then Halligan picked up where he left off with a youtube series and a set of drawings.

The main challenges I had was I needed to pin the bronze extension into the quill and the extended acme screw into the new screw body, otherwise a large drill would lock tight enough to spin them. Not an issue if you make the new screw from one piece - I cheated and used some acme threaded rod.

Not understanding the problem here . :dunno: What is the issue ?

Not understanding the problem here . :dunno: What is the issue ?
I am looking for Ideas, I have some of my own but I wanted to see A) is this an issue for others and B) if so what solutions did they come up with. I think My end solution will be to build a custom tail stock and if that is the direction I go I will share the journey and likely the drawings.

Now I am not certain I fully understand your question, My tail stock is too short, it has actually only 2" of usable movement and I want additional.

So did I park my post in the wrong spot? Have I violated the rules?

Back