My tail stock is too short.....

verbotenwhisky

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any one here ever thought about building a custom tail stock from scratch?...... Asking for a friend.....

I’ve thought about starting with a bare casting and making a longer ram. I think one of our members, silver bullet, might have done that iirrc.
Then I backed out, because I remembered who was going to do the work, and what I could expect from his efforts.
But I think another, more skilled or detail oriented person could pull it off.
I resort to spacers on the end of the live center sometimes. It works out.

You can make an extension to increase the tail stock travel. I did one on my sb9 and it’s very handy to have the extra travel

You can make an extension to increase the tail stock travel. I did one on my sb9 and it’s very handy to have the extra travel
May I ask how you accomplished this? My SB9 only has 2” of travel and I would have to extend the quill housing out the rear to increase the travel.

I have thought about a sled that would be on linear rails. The sled would bolt to the bed and have a tool block. It would be built in such a way that it would be in perfect alignment with the spindle for the entire length of its travel. it could be advance with a screw and nut of even a small processor and ball screw arrangement that would allow programming a peck cycle. My thoughts were in regard to rigidly held tooling for cutting chambers that are straight and on size.

This is a tailstock I made for a Delta wood lathe. I cast the aluminum body. Bored it on the Jet mill with the head rotated to horizontal. Homemade boring bar. I bought the piece of Acme threaded rod from McMaster along with the ball oilers. It is bolted to a steel plate stepped to guide & bear on the lathe bed. I taper bored, then reamed a MT2 into the spindle. My casting setup is pretty crude. You can see a corner didn't fill, likely due to poor runner design on my part or the rate that I was pouring. It's been in use for several years.

Attachments

• Tailstock back.JPG
    Tailstock back.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Tailstock parts 2.JPG
    Tailstock parts 2.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 19
May I ask how you accomplished this? My SB9 only has 2” of travel and I would have to extend the quill housing out the rear to increase the travel.
I followed the plans from this youtuber

I had to tweak the design a little as my SB9 is older than the workshop series, but it worked out really well.IMG20230513161226.jpgIMG20230513161246.jpgIMG20230130222458.jpgIMG20230130223148.jpgIMG20230131215237.jpg

This is a tailstock I made for a Delta wood lathe. I cast the aluminum body. Bored it on the Jet mill with the head rotated to horizontal. Homemade boring bar. I bought the piece of Acme threaded rod from McMaster along with the ball oilers. It is bolted to a steel plate stepped to guide & bear on the lathe bed. I taper bored, then reamed a MT2 into the spindle. My casting setup is pretty crude. You can see a corner didn't fill, likely due to poor runner design on my part or the rate that I was pouring. It's been in use for several years.
That looks really nice...

Back