My Shop

I have to say that I am jealous of all the shops I've seen so far! I have just started to build my shop and it will be 12' x 8' when finished - in England most of us don't have the space you do your side of the pond. Added to that, I'm semi-retired so don't have the funds to splash out on anything bigger....

I am not the tidiest of people, but when the workshop is finished, I will have to be very careful to do my best not to cram it full to overflowing with all the gear I'd like to have! So far I have a small lathe - a Clarke CL430 - an old Progress 2GS pedestal drill and various odds and sods - a bench grinder, milling vice, drill vice etc. I'm hoping to find a bench top mill at a sensible price to complete the main equipment.

Keep the photos coming, I'll just sit and drool....

Duncan

I am not the tidiest of people, but when the workshop is finished, I will have to be very careful to do my best not to cram it full to overflowing with all the gear I'd like to have!

Duncan

Haaahhh! Good luck with that! I said the same thing 2 years ago...

Ray

Duncan, don't even try that. It's one of those immutable Laws of Nature. You WILL have more stuff than you have room for. Nature of the beast and all. And yes, I do realize I haven't posted my shop either, except maybe a little in the background of other pictures. I guess I'm like many of you. Too much clutter and ashamed of it. I'll do like Ray......after a Good Fall Cleaning. And after I get stuff out of there that shouldn't be. I have a 5 ton air handler to replace my existing unit right in the middle of the floor, but want to wait until I don't want to use the A/C for a couple of days, I have an 80 gallon 5 hp compressor I'm rebuilding that will go on it's slab outside, I have 3 bandsaws (soon to be 4) to sort out and get rid of.....stuff like that.

I have to say that I am jealous of all the shops I've seen so far! I have just started to build my shop and it will be 12' x 8' when finished - in England most of us don't have the space you do your side of the pond. Added to that, I'm semi-retired so don't have the funds to splash out on anything bigger....

I am not the tidiest of people, but when the workshop is finished, I will have to be very careful to do my best not to cram it full to overflowing with all the gear I'd like to have! So far I have a small lathe - a Clarke CL430 - an old Progress 2GS pedestal drill and various odds and sods - a bench grinder, milling vice, drill vice etc. I'm hoping to find a bench top mill at a sensible price to complete the main equipment.

Keep the photos coming, I'll just sit and drool....

Duncan

That makes two of us Duncan, you've saved me from composing a very similar reply thanks!

Bernard

I had everything except my large lathe in a 20 x 24 garage along with my riding mower and my wife's Christmas decorations. Not to mention our kids stuff. I couldn't turn around without running into something. Being cramped for space is just part of having a shop.

My shop was already crammed full before I moved in my "new" Index mill and Logan lathe. But it's a real, working shop. Get out the eye bleach.

Looking across my primary table saw's outfeed table.
saw-bench-1_zps6f8c028e.jpg

#2 & 3 table saws with 4'x8' workbench as outfeed table.
dual-table-saws_zpsb9eafaf8.jpg

Lathe in another corner.
mill-9_zps14aba78f.jpg

Mill before any cleanup.
mill-18_zpse9fc3f21.jpg.

Last edited:
Well, it's not a shop. It isn't even a garage, it's only part of one. I have some other stuff: buffers, grinders, bandsaw, etc., off on the sides. But this little corner is where I get to relax and play. Don't laugh too hard. :)

Lathes New Home.JPG

Well, it's not a shop. It isn't even a garage, it's only part of one. I have some other stuff: buffers, grinders, bandsaw, etc., off on the sides. But this little corner is where I get to relax and play. Don't laugh too hard. :)

Sorry WRM, I still see a shop and there is nothing to laugh at. I thank you for posting your slice of heaven. :thumbsup:

I am not sure where all you are find these unwritten rules for not posting, too small, too messy, heaven is heaven and it is yours. Just remember there are others out there that don't have what you have and would give anything to enjoy just a small part of it. You have to remember is that all of our backgrounds and life experiences are all different. It is amazing what you can learn from someone else's way of doing things. So, jump in a post up, I want to see what puts a smile on your face when you enter paradise.:happyhappy:

Wow is all I can say this is one of the nicest work spaces I have seen mine basement looks more messy then your shop Lol tha is a lot of $ invested in those tools and equipment congratulation I think this shop will be envy of anybody that sees it

One day when I win the lottery

BTW what do in the shop? is it purely hobby or are you running some business out of it?
any projects? on the go I have seen your re-build Mill is just as pretty as the shop, congratulation

Paul

Here is my little shop
IMG_0513.JPGIMG_0514.JPGIMG_0515.JPG
as you can see I "Kubotazie" mine 10EE it is still work in progress need to hook up all the electrical components RPC +motor and wires lubricate and fire up to see if she lives

Paul

Ok, I'll start us off. Here is my slice of heaven.

It is 50 x 104 x 12 built in 1992 by Cleary. It is where I spend ALL the time I can.

Now, everyone else post up!

Oh, and messy shops are busy shops, no need to be shy. It is what makes ya happy. :))

IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry WRM, I still see a shop and there is nothing to laugh at. I thank you for posting your slice of heaven. :thumbsup:

I am not sure where all you are find these unwritten rules for not posting, too small, too messy, heaven is heaven and it is yours. Just remember there are others out there that don't have what you have and would give anything to enjoy just a small part of it. You have to remember is that all of our backgrounds and life experiences are all different. It is amazing what you can learn from someone else's way of doing things. So, jump in a post up, I want to see what puts a smile on your face when you enter paradise.:happyhappy:

Well, after seeing your "slice of heaven" there was significant trepidation, at least on my part, of putting up pics of anything less. My last shop was over 10 years ago, significantly larger and better appointed. But I find that I have had to move a lot being employed in the computer storage industry and lost it all. This one here is intended to be small and portable so that I don't lose everything if I have to move. I've only had a few months to get it to where it is now. I hope to add improvements over the next few years. :)

Back