my new toy

If your using the "rust stop" ace paint, I think it's supposed to be their version of rustoleum. I pesonally think it loses something when they add tint to it. In any event the alkyds need to be sprayed with a very light tack coat, followed by a nice even coat as soon as the tack coat drys enough that it doesn't pull of when touched lightly with your finger. I'm probably telling you what you already know, but if not, it will save you some headaches.

Chuck

Thanks for the advice Chuck.I'm use to spraying auto paint but not the oil based stuff like this.7-1-11 220.JPG7-1-11 207.JPGhere are some pic's of the paint job I did on the boat I built.This was done with an airbrush.

7-1-11 220.JPG 7-1-11 207.JPG

The oil will really look nice if you get it thinned just right....but there's a real fine line between flowing out like you want and running. I made the mistake of going past the critical recoat time once and had it lift. What a mess. I had to wipe it back down to the primer with thinner soaked rags. I was glad that I used a good epoxy primer. It dried hard as nails and the thinner didn't even touch it. I was topcoating with benny moore paint when that happened to me. I don't know if the ace brand has a critical recoat time like that but some of the alkyds do.

Chuck

Well I finely got to spray paint tonight.Here's what it looks like now.101_3668.JPG101_3667.JPG101_3666.JPGIt still looks white in the pic"s but it' truely light gray.:whistle:

101_3668.JPG 101_3667.JPG 101_3666.JPG

Looks like you made a lot of progress. It's hard to tell from the pics.....how did it lay out for you? I've never sprayed the ace brand. I'm guessing if you got it thinned just right it probably flowed out real nice. The south bend I just picked up could use a complete paint job like that, but I don't know if I have the ambition. The paint isn't peeling off and it doesn't have any weird colors on it...so I think I'll just go with the "patina" look...lol. Keep the pics coming.

Chuck

The paint layed out very well and covered realy nice.I should have add that the paint is rustoleum and not a ace brand.sorry I forgot to put that in last time:)).I hope to get the chip pan striped and painted today but as the temp. outside has droped I don't know if I can paint or not.

findly starting to get some peices back together.101_3706.JPG101_3707.JPG101_3708.JPGanyone know how to remove the main shaft from a 5914?

101_3706.JPG 101_3707.JPG 101_3708.JPG

Wow nice progress!!! Can I send you my lathe??? Lol.

Are you talking about the spindle you are trying to remove?

Chris

I'm trying to get the main spindle shaft out but the two gears that are still on it won't move.When I called clausing today they told me to hit the outboard end of the shaft with a board and 3# hammer.Anyother ideas?

I used the bfm technique like clausing suggested. I have read where other people have fashioned a puller out of ready bolt and washers to give an even pull on the spindle. It really shouldn't come out extremely hard once you get it moving. If you have a parts manual, check for keys in the gears. The bullgear almost certainly has one. The gear behind it might also. You may have to move that gear back and remove the key before you push the spindle through the bullgear.

Chuck

Back