my new toy

well I findly got the lathe apart and some of the pieces home.I got both bases and the bed here at the house so I can get started cleaning and striping for the new paint.I'll try and post some pic's later.

I've been working on getting the paint off the bed and bases and still taking apart the other pieces.I'm having problems getting the quick-change gear box apart.I have one or two gears that have teeth missing which is no big deal to fix but I need to get it apart.Any advise?

If you need to replace cone gears you're going to have to pull the entire gear box apart. Take out the tumbler shaft first. There is a collar on the inside that has a roll pin you need to punch out first. Then take out the dog clutch shaft. Make good notes and take photos of the orientation and order of the dog gears. The dog clutch slide, rides on a key that is really hard to get out. You need to get all the splines lined up so that the key is between them so you can lift the one side out. There is one snap ring on the dog gear clutch. You may need a press to press some of these shafts out. Finally take out the cone gear shaft. There is a snap ring on that shaft as well. Looking towards the lathe the gear on the left side is integral to that shaft, so there is only one way to press that shaft out. This is by no means comprehensive step my step, just the few key points I'd point out since I've recently had to take apart my entire gear box.

If you need to replace gears I'd suggest buying standard gears and boring/broaching them as needed. If you order from Clausing they will cost and arm and a leg. They are pretty typical spur gears with a 14.5 degree pressure angle.

I had to replace the integral gear on the cone gear shaft and so I ordered a 16 tooth gear from McMaster Carr, machined it to fit, machined off the worn one and pressed on the new one. Saved my about $100 over buying one from Clausing. And that's exactly the sort of project that I got this lathe for!

Let us know how you make out.

If you have the manual, there is a very good breakdown of the entire gearbox. With that it should be real easy for you. I just had mine apart and I didn't have to press anything. I did use a brass drift to tap one of the shafts out. As Kent said the shaft with the key is kind of a pia, but you'll figure it out. Good luck.

Chuck

I did findly get the cluch dog shaft out and now working on the cone gear shaft.I've been trying to work on it at the shop because I have all the tool there that I need just finding the time to do it is the hard part.The shop in an hours drive from my house and with gas prices being so high I hate to drive in on the weekends so I do what I can when I can get away with it.lol.Thanks for all the help I'm sure I'll need more as this goes on.

I got a little more paint striped tonight.Hope to be able to spray some paint later this week if it warms up.I'm starting to look for a 4-jaw chuck but haven't desided between an 8" or 10".My 3-jaw is an 8".Any ideas??

Back