my new toy

I don't know the sizes of clausing lathes by the model numbers...I was assuming yours was a 10" swing, but the more I look at the pics I'm thinking its bigger than that. Bigger isn't always better when your buying a chuck. Don't get one so big that you can't open the jaws up without hitting the bed or cross slide. If it's a 10" lathe I wouldn't want anything bigger than an 8" chuck. If it has a larger swing then maybe a 10" chuck would be good choice.

Chuck

When purchasing chucks for my lathe I had found that the general rule of thumb is half your swing for a 3 jaw and half your swing + 1 inch for a 4 jaw. Since you have a 12" swing I believe your 3 jaw is a bit oversized. I wouldn't go any bigger than 8 for the 4 jaw. However I have no idea where these rules come from, I'm sure someone smarter than me has a better reasoning for it. I tend to do follow the advice of older machinists.

I don't know the sizes of clausing lathes by the model numbers...I was assuming yours was a 10" swing, but the more I look at the pics I'm thinking its bigger than that. Bigger isn't always better when your buying a chuck. Don't get one so big that you can't open the jaws up without hitting the bed or cross slide. If it's a 10" lathe I wouldn't want anything bigger than an 8" chuck. If it has a larger swing then maybe a 10" chuck would be good choice.

Chuck

When purchasing chucks for my lathe I had found that the general rule of thumb is half your swing for a 3 jaw and half your swing + 1 inch for a 4 jaw. Since you have a 12" swing I believe your 3 jaw is a bit oversized. I wouldn't go any bigger than 8 for the 4 jaw. However I have no idea where these rules come from, I'm sure someone smarter than me has a better reasoning for it. I tend to do follow the advice of older machinists.

In looking at the pictures it does appear that the machine might be a bit "over chucked" I agree with the statements of thee guys. Something worth checking anyway. Congratulations on the new machine though, I am jealous!

thanks for the advice.The lathe is a 12"x36" and the 3-jaw is what came on the lathe.

I've said this before and now saying it again I HATE FORDS.I started painting today and my paint looks bed sheet white!The lable on the can and even the paint in the can looks light gray but on the bed it's as white as it can get.So it's back to the store tomorrow for more paint.:angry:

Being a proud owner of a Clausing 4914 I am interested in additonal pictures of your progress.
In my efforts to replace the spindle bearings on my lathe, I found the manual to be a huge help. It was however a bit short of the how to's of dismantling the gear box. The most amazing part of the process was that the bearings were available at NAPA Auto Parts!

I would like to know more about your chuck search, as my lathe only came with a 3 jaw and some of the items on my project list will require the 4 jaw tolerances.

Nice lathe.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but......

"The most amazing part of the process was that the bearings were available at NAPA Auto Parts!"

I hope you got precision bearings. I found in the past that I could get a bearing with the same number for about 40.00 (I didn't try NAPA, but I'm confident they could have got it for me) but when you get the precision bearing with the same number the price jumped up to about 250.00. I don't know if I could have gotten the precision bearing through NAPA....but it's possible.

We need to see pics of the paint progress. I'm not sure if I'm following the "Ford" thing, but I'm thinking you were using a ford gray that looked a little too light.

Chuck

101_3649.JPG101_3651.JPG101_3650.JPGhere are some pic's so far.As you can see the paint on the bed looks white.The other pieces are primed and ready to be painted.the motor base still needs striped but the weather here changed before I could work on it.

101_3649.JPG 101_3650.JPG 101_3651.JPG

Yep...looks closer to white than gray. Are you spraying it or brushing it? If your spraying, the benny moore urethane alkyd lays out really nice and they can tint it anyway you want it. I've been brushing rustoleum on a few machines and it lays out really nice. The only problem I have with rustoleum is the limited color selection. I haven't had real good luck with it when they tint it. It just doesn't seem to lay out as well. I'm not real swift with a brush though...so it might be user error.:thinking:

Chuck

I did brush this paint on.It's tractor supply paint.This time I went to ace and had them mix the color I wanted and I'll be spraying the paint this time.I'll post some pic's when I get a chance to get some done.

Back