My new lathe

I checked that site and under both brand sections there's no 101.07403

You didn't look real hard:

Here is the parts list from the Vintage Machinery web site:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/3398.pdf

If you look through the Craftsman documents you can filter by "Publication Type" interesting things to try are "Lathes" and "General Line Catalogs" the 1951 "General Line Catalog" shows a very similar lathe. I'm not a Atlas/Craftsman guy so I'm not familiar with the minor details. I believe the catalog numbers and the model numbers don't match so you may need to do a little bit of work on your own to narrow down the year. You may never know exactly.

Both Sears (Craftsman) and Atlas sold a book titled "Manual Of Lathe Operations and Machinists Tables" this is essentially the operators manual for that lathe. They are usually available on eBay. The South Bend "How To Run A Lathe" is similar and older PDF versions are available free online although a later version might be more useful.

Wow, thanks clue. I actually did look pretty hard but at first I didn't notice that you could seperate lathes from grinders etc. But then I did go back and seperate then and wasn't able to find my number in the lathes that came up.

But, regardless, thanks for the help.

I've got an early job so I can do anything tonight but I'll get at it tomorrow.

While I'm thinking about it, my table, or better put, the ways are like new but are completely dry. Should they not be oiled? If so with what? Would a quick spray of WD-40 when parking it and a good wiping up before use do the trick? I'm sure this isn't the proper section for this question so if you'd rather I start a thread or search the threads where ever they are that would be fine too. What section would that info be in?

Thanks,

Wayne

I don't have an Atlas/Craftsman but I use Mobil Vactra #2 Way Oil on the ways and Mobil Velocite #10 for all bearings on my Logan.

Both are available from Enco http://www.use-enco.com in gallon jugs (will last a very long time!).

Enco has free shipping codes available on a regular basis so make sure you check this thread for discount codes before ordering anything: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php?f=195

While I'm thinking about it, my table, or better put, the ways are like new but are completely dry. Should they not be oiled? If so with what? Would a quick spray of WD-40 when parking it and a good wiping up before use do the trick? I'm sure this isn't the proper section for this question so if you'd rather I start a thread or search the threads where ever they are that would be fine too. What section would that info be in?

Thanks,

Wayne

This is a fine place to ask your question about the ways of your lathe.

Yes, the ways should be oiled, and there is a product made that is designed just for that purpose, called way oil. Mobil Vactra #2 is a very popular way oil that will work well on your lathe. It is available through machine tool suppliers like Enco, MSC, Travers Tool, etc for about $25/gallon. Enco currently has it on sale for $18/gallon, and if you spend more than $25, shipping is free this month, but you need to use the discount code of 'MAY25' when you place your order. A gallon of way oil will last you quite a while, so one gallon should be plenty for the time being. No connection to them, just a happy customer.

I have used non-detergent 30W motor oil in the past, which was the oil recommended by the manufacturer of my lathe back in the 40's. That works fine as a spindle oil, but I like the way oil much better.

Ok, I'll order some when I can. In the mean time would WD be a good choice to hold me till I get it or no?

Thanks,

Wayne

WD-40 is ok for cleaning but not much for lubrication. You would be better off with some non-detergent motor oil, they have it at my local Tractor Supply and NAPA auto parts. Other shiny sign auto parts stores don't usually have it and the dude/dudette behind the counter can't help you unless it's for a make and model car he/she can look up on the computer.

You're right about the big box auto parts stores. I call it fast food auto parts.

At this point I'm less concerned with lubrication as I am rust prevention.

I'll get some good oil as soon as possible. In the mean time I don't want the ways to rust.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne, at this point, rather than let any rust get started, the WD40 will be fine. Just so you know, it tends to dry out to a sticky film that you will need to clean off before using proper lubes. But hey, all you need to clean it off is fresh WD40! A lot of guys "bad mouth" WD40, but, if used for its intended purposes, it will keep the rust away, while your getting your machine running. Good luck, JR49

Nice score Wayne, lovely machine, you did well, enjoy...:thumbzup:

Bernard

Wayne, at this point, rather than let any rust get started, the WD40 will be fine. Just so you know, it tends to dry out to a sticky film that you will need to clean off before using proper lubes. But hey, all you need to clean it off is fresh WD40! A lot of guys "bad mouth" WD40, but, if used for its intended purposes, it will keep the rust away, while your getting your machine running. Good luck, JR49

Yea, probably because it's cheap. I use it all the time. I run it through the fuel system of my methanol injection fuel system on my drag car. It keeps the pump from rusting internally, keeps o rings from drying out, the inner liners of the braided tubing from drying out. It's great stuff. I put it in a squirt bottle instead of buying cans of it to soak rusty bolds in my repair business. Some swear it's junk and you HAVE to use XXX brand. I've never noticed a huge difference between any of them. Blaster seems to work faster for loosening bolts. But if want fast, get the freaking torches out.

When I got this machine it was completely spotless other than the gear train and even it isn't overly greezy. Just properly lubed. BUT it was stored in a very dry environment. My shop has a leaky roof. The tools are under tarps but it's still damp in there. Bare metal will rust. Way oil will collect chips and dirt and so on. If the thing's going to be sitting for nine tenths of the rest of it's life, which is no doubt the case, I can just do like you said, spray it with WD, wipe it down, give it another spray while I'm using it on the rare occasion I do, wipe it down and put a fresh coat on it. I'd love to have a nice dry shop...but I don't. I have what I have and that's not going to change anytime soon. One quart of non detergent oil would probalby last me for years. Using nothing would be tragic.

Bernard, thanks! I knew I wasn't making a bad deal, especially since every thing worked and it was so impecably clean but I didn't know how good of a deal I was actually getting. Which is good because like I said above, this isn't something that's going to get used much. Here and there I run across something and I think "boy, if only I knew someone with a lathe, I could just touch that up and...." but I didn't. Now I do.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'd say I'll post pics of any projects I do with it but the reality is my projects are spur of the moment and I won't be going inside to get the camera for a ten minute job. So unless I know I'm doing a turning project in advance and bring the camera out with me or it's a big enough project that it's justified...I'm probably not going to be posting many project pics.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Back