My new lathe

jaded13640

Active User
Registered
I just picked up this on Sunday.

It's a really nice little machine. The ways are perfect. This may be an older machine but it appears it hasn't been used much.

It didn't come with a book. So I know almost nothing about the machine. If anyone has any documentation that they could post I'd greatly appreciate it.

I got the lathe, the table on wheels, the box of tools and all the gears for 550 bucks. I wish it had a bigger chuck but it'll do. That's one of the things I'd like to learn about, what chucks will work and what's available for it.

Wadayathink?

Wayne

P5050001.JPGP5050002.JPGP5050003.JPGP5050004.JPGP5050005.JPGP5050006.JPGP5050007.JPGP5050008.JPGP5050009.JPG

P5050001.JPG P5050002.JPG P5050003.JPG P5050004.JPG P5050005.JPG P5050006.JPG P5050007.JPG P5050008.JPG P5050009.JPG

Very nice.... Congratulations...! I think I have some craftsman manuals I have a look in the morning.:))

Congratulations! You found a good machine at a good price.

Congratulations nice find looks good now all you need is the time to use it
looks like my shop to much to do .
nice find man have fun :thinking: what can we make :dunno:

I have some tool holders I am going to sale 2 Armstrong 1-s 1 Armstrong 1L and one that I don't know what it is
all with a bit to small 4 my lathe if you nee some send me a massage
jamace
I hope I am not breaking any Forum rules if I am delete it IMG_0660.JPGIMG_0661.JPGIMG_0662.JPGIMG_0663.JPGIMG_0664.JPG

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk
Thomas A. Edison

IMG_0660.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0664.JPG

Last edited:
The chuck is appropriate for a light lathe of that size. I never had but a 5" Union chuck of light weight design when I owned my first lathe: a 12" Sears Atlas. It had tapered roller bearings. Does yours? I'm not an Atlas person.

I don't know. That's my problem. I can't even find an identification tag on this thing. I know absolutely nothing about it other than it's a lathe.I have a couple of pistons that had the skirts get smacked when the rods came apart. Other than the skirts, the very bottom part of the pistons being slightly out of round their still good. It wouldn't take much cutting to make them round again. And since that area of the piston doesn't see compression or much load I'm fairly comfortable with taking a light cut to clean them up. I may be able to turn the jaws around and use the chuck that's on the lathe now. If the 5 inch chuck that's on it now is about as big as should be run on it then I guess that's that. Where might I be able to find some identifying markings on this lathe? Again, so far I haven't even been able to find a tag or serial number on it to be able to identify it.Wayne

Last edited:
Nice looking lathe. I just took that same craftsman motor (with blue center) off my Logan.

The craigslist ad said it was a 5" craftsman atlas lathe. I assume the 5" part meant the chuck. But other than having used lathes, I really don't know much about them. The ones I used in college were large ones you'd see in a machine shop. The ones in the machine shop I worked in briefly were about the same size. About 8 feet long had about a 12" chuck.

Until a few months ago when I bought my mill I'd never owned my own piece of tooling before. So far the only thing I've used the mill for was to drill 2 holes in a piece of channel stock that I used as an engine support so I could drop out cradle with the transmission and leave the engine suspended in the body. Since then it's been sitting with a tarp over it.

One of the riser posts for my hoist had a substantial dent in the machined area that dropped into the hoist's leg and wouldn't go in without being hammered in which of course meant it had to be hammered back out. I tried to clean it up with the bench grinder once. It didn't work and I never bothered to try again. Yesterday I chucked it up in the lathe and turned it down a little and it fits great now. I didn't take any pics of the project because I didn't have the camera out in the shop with me.

So, what about the 9" lathe makes it 9"? It's the the maximum swing between the center to the table/ways?

Wayne

Lathe sizes are usually listed as max dia. (or radius if you are looking at an English spec machine) they can swing at the spindle. This will not be what is able to pass over the cross slide, ie a 9" lathe will spin a 9" disc at the headstock but not a 9" round bar between centres.

Cheers Phil

Back