My new lathe

Craftsman 12" lathe.

Check out the link below for more information. Tag should be at the tail stock end of the bed or on the backside of the bed casting.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page2.html

So from what I read it appears the the ID tag does not necessairly reveal the date of manufacture. Just the dimentions and specs. To some degree I can see that it would narrow it down.

So it looks like, from what I could understand of the write up, my lathe could be no newer than the early 60's?

Mine does have power cross feed. At least that's what the seller told me. I used the feed for the "X" but have not attempted to feed it in the "Y" direction.

Based on the pictures of my lathe, can anyone give me an estimate of it's age? I read the write up three times and still can't quite tell what catagory mine falls into as far as age range.

I'll search for an ID tag tomorrow so I can start the process of trying to locate a manual.

Wayne

This is funny to me, The lathe I picked up 3 weeks back looks to be a carbon copy of yours. except mines still covered in grease and grime.

Dan

I found the ID tag.

It reads 101.07403

If anyone can help identifying it, ie what year and can help me find a manual I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Wayne

PS, I figured out how to run the cross feed. You pull the knob out under the tool holder...DUH! LOL

Like I said in my last reply I found the tag on the lathe.

The number is 101.07403

I checked that site and under both brand sections there's no 101.07403.

Any other information resources would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to be able to date the machine and find an operating manual for it.

I know how to use a lathe, I have cut threads in the past but it's been many years and this machine isn't what you would call automatic or maybe better put, changing gears manually is necessary to cut threads. There's a chart inside the door for the gears that tells you how to do it, if you are familliar doing it. I may never have to cut a thread again but a manual to tell me some things about how to use THIS lathe would be very cool.

Thanks,

Wayne

PS, this machine is in amazing condition. Given that I paid $550 bucks and a performance intake manifold that I paid 50 or 75 bucks for, does it sound like a good a good deal? Crappy deal? Awesome deal? What would this machine in extremely good condition be worth roughly?

Thanks again,

Wayne

Nice lathe. You and I will learn together. The LOML just found me one last weekend. I plan to start cleaning mine this weekend. Congrats!

$550???

:greenwithenvy:

For that price here we can't even get a 2nd hand DeWalt hammer drill with couple of broken bits!!!
Positively I need to visit the US… with a freight ship.

Nice lathe. You and I will learn together. The LOML just found me one last weekend. I plan to start cleaning mine this weekend. Congrats!

Fortunately in my case no cleaning needed. It was as clean as the day it as new when I picked it up. It was used very infrequently but kept covered and oiled. Used just enough to keep everything working right but not enough to wear anything. It's the perfect find as far as an old machine goes. I thought for sure I'd find signs of wear. When I first saw it I thought it was too clean. I figured it was a mess and he cleaned it up to sell. But then everything worked good. And there weren't any signs of rust pits. You can clean rust off but you can't clean off the pits rust leaves in the metal. And no matter how much you clean there's always going to be little spots you can't clean if it's really greazy. It's spotless. Every little area you look that grease would have been blown into if they power washed it and nothing. It just didn't get overly greasy and was kept dry.

I was curious as to it's value only because it's such a light duty lathe. I'm fine with it being light duty. I just didn't know how to value it.

Yea, we'll learn together. Who ever finds a manual first will have to share it with the other.

Do you have any pics up of yours?

Wayne

I just saw this manual for old time manuals. The picture shows my lathe but the model numbers don't match.

I read the article about how the model numbers worked but I guess I didn't understand it.

What do you guys think? Would you think this is the manual I need or is it possible they put a genearic illustration on the cover? That doesn't seem likely but I'm just stuggling to understand how the cover could have my lathe on it but the numbers don't match...by a lot.

What do you think?

Back