My New 8x18

This thread has been properly moved to the SB section.

Ray

For those who might not know,some of the South Bend models were already made in Taiwan before the original company closed. Lathes like the "Turnado",I believe were made for SB in Taiwan.

Well, just did the run-in on it and it appears fine. It was a little warm after running continuously for over an hour (last 20 min was at 2300 rpm) but runs real smooth. Belt drive is pretty quiet. Nice.

Tomorrow I'll try making some test cuts and see how it does.

Good luck. Don't be surprised if the first cuts aren't quite what you hoped for. Running a new machine always has some learning curve. Also, every machine needs to be aligned -which does not necessarily equate to being level to horizontal and vertical. Usually, you'll use that as a starting point and there are various techniques to systematically shim the base and get it to cut dead-on. Plenty here written about lathe alignment but, going over it again is always OK because there's always a new round of fresh folks coming on board.

Ray

That's a great looking lathe, congratulations. It's always fun getting a new tool.

Congratulations. Good looking piece of machinery. Have fun making chips with it. We like pictures of projects.

"Billy G"

OK, so just as a quick-and-dirty, I tried a couple of cuts yesterday.

The first, was on a .5" piece of stainless. Put in in the three-jaw, center-drilled the end and put that on a live center. I took a .015" cut for almost 5". I started about 2" from the live center. I noticed that near the live center, I was getting small(er) chips, and as I got within a couple of inches of the 3-jaw I started getting this long, golden colored chip that had the cutting fluid smoking a bit. Pulled the rod out and did a quick measurement with my calipers. There was just over a thou difference between the measurements (I measured about 3" from the live center end, and right near the chuck). Not bad at all. I figured from watching the chips that I was getting some part deflection.

Next was a piece of 6061, 5/8ths thick. Did a .025" cut for about 3" on the unsupported rod. Bright shiny cut that had this long chip wrap itself around the rod near the chuck. Have to watch that stuff, as I figure it can probably slice me up pretty good if I'm stupid enough to get my hands near it. After pulling the aluminum Brillo pad off the part, I pulled the rod out and measured it like I did the other. Less than a thou difference.

Good enough for now. I'm pretty happy so far.

Good for you! Be sure to check your tailstock alignment before future tests, since this is a new machine- it may be set over

Bernie

Back